Problems With My 4a-c

Phat535

guys last weekend I was driving along and my car spluttered a few times and started to loose power then just died, I rolled off the side of the road and all I could smell was fuel. Took the air filter off and had a look down the carby, it was almost full to the top with fuel. The car was winding over like it had no compression at all so I just got it towed home till I had more time to look at it.

Yesterday I've finally got around to taking a look. First thing I checked was timing belt which is fine. Did a compression test and it came up zero on all 4 cylinders, needle didnt even move. Tested the guage on another car to make sure it was working correctly and then tried again. Again a big zero on the first three and this time about 5psi on number 4. Have taken the rocker cover off to check valve operation which seems to be fine, gave the top of each valve/spring a small tap to make sure they were seating. Then squirted a bit of oil into each cylinder and did a wet test....still zero compression accross the board

I'm pretty sure the fuel problem was just a stuck needle and seat, I've got a spare carby here I'll just throw on anyway cause I've never been able to get this carby to run right. But the compression problem has me confused. My boss was of the opinion all the fuel has washed the bores, and that if I just put oil down the spark plug holes and wind it over by hand for a while it should regain compression, but have wound it over by hand for about 15 minutes with oil in the cylinder then tried another compression test and it still came up zero.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Dave

Members dont see this ad

I currently live on a fairly busy street and it is sometimes hard to listen for small noises when it's busy. Today I had a bit more of a play and I've found why it has no compression, it's all coming straight back out the carby. Turning it over with the spark plugs is you can hear the air puffing out like when you have no plugs in, I've now realised you can hear it coming back out through the carby. Put your hand over the carby and you can clearly feel it.....anyone got any thoughts? I don't see how it could have taken the tops off all 4 inlet valves at the same time. Also I've put a magnet down the spark plug holes and there's nothing sitting on top of the pistons

turn the engine over with the cam belt cover off and see if the cam gear is moving, if it is then take the rocker cover off and check to see if the cam is moving.

i'm thinking it's either the belt or the cam gear has stripped the key in the end of the cam.