My Ae92 - Bucket

Kid-Ae

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing in a month or two, or perhaps when I get the car lowered (whenever the hell I can afford it, no space to do at home, so have to pay somebody else, potentially safer that way)

I figure I should work on handling and drive-ability for now, as a potential engine conversion is three years off (still on my P's).

Might have a scrounge around for a better air intake I can mount up to the factory air filter, see if it makes a difference, maybe some induction noise :laff:

Members dont see this ad

Idea: Whilst laying in hospital today, came up with an idea.. Source an intake from a commodore or falcon, widen the top of it and mount it to the end of my air filter. More air isn't a bad thing, right? (sorry if I'm not making a heap of sense, rather doped up on painkillers).

EDIT: Somewhat like the SS induction kits. If that doesn't work, maybe extend the piping and mount a second air filter lower to the ground, behind the front lip.

Edited by ROLLA'BOY

Sad update:

Dad's car got broken into last night.. Nothing stolen, but they managed to leave the interior light on and killed the battery. They covered my car in some sort of alcoholic substance and left their rubbish all over the front lawn... So a 5:30am wakeup to take Dad to work, then an hour to clean my car and the front lawn. Once I'm home from uni, have to jumpstart the Commodore and check that all they did was f@$k the battery.. Fun.

nice car you got there mate :)

ive got an ae92 but a sedan model its green with a few modifications mainly interior

just asking how much did it cost for you to get an exhaust system and how much did it cost you?

Good to see some more AE's on the site, giving the KE's a run for their money ;)

The exhaust was $198 fitted, 2" from the CAT back, into a sports muffler and the 2" tip covered by a VT SS tip, makes people have a second look, that's for sure ;)

Update: Over the Easter break, uni has a week off, my missus is away at her Dad's place in Rye and I have some time to myself, so Bucket going to be played with ;)

Going to fashion up a CAI, just not sure how i'll make it all work, but I will. (Appreciate ANY input)

Next will be a custom parcel shelf, 25mm mdf for extra bass response from the speakers in it and the sub underneath.

Also going to flush the coolant, I want my coolant to be green, not brown..

Was at my mechanics shop yesterday for a little while, had a decent chat, he reckons that 1.5" all round will look good, but probably cost me 800 or so for springs and shocks plus labour, mind you, I'm willing to pay for his quality of work :yes:

Also looking at a set of extractors. Grab some from a later model rolla and simply chop the wiring off the o2 sensor and bolt them up :laff:

every engines loves a bit of cold air.

in regards to your rear speaker setup, if you are running a sub, you really should be running a high pass filter on your rear speakers, so they don't produce any bass.

otherwise you can get funky influences from the bass from the speakers interacting with the bass from your sub.

in my car (not a corolla, but same deal), all 4 speakers run on a high pass of 125hz, and the sub runs on a low pass of 125hz.

25mm is a bit extreme for that parcel shelf i would think, thats going to weight a ton!

800bucks for springs/shocks sounds about right... (springs around 200/pair, shocks the same...) for brand new stuff.

not a cheap excercise, few hours of labour and you will be over $1000.

every engines loves a bit of cold air.

in regards to your rear speaker setup, if you are running a sub, you really should be running a high pass filter on your rear speakers, so they don't produce any bass.

otherwise you can get funky influences from the bass from the speakers interacting with the bass from your sub.

in my car (not a corolla, but same deal), all 4 speakers run on a high pass of 125hz, and the sub runs on a low pass of 125hz.

25mm is a bit extreme for that parcel shelf i would think, thats going to weight a ton!

800bucks for springs/shocks sounds about right... (springs around 200/pair, shocks the same...) for brand new stuff.

not a cheap excercise, few hours of labour and you will be over $1000.

Thinking of modding an intake from an EB Falcon, the piping is a lot bigger than what I'm using and looks to me like it could fit with a reverse mount ;)

Bass was probably not the word I was looking for, more a midrange punch. Will be looking into that when I upgrade the speakers, for now they are $20 ones that I'm happy to abuse the crap out of.

My mechanic reckons he'll do it all for me (with me there to help/learn) for just over $1100, not going to complain about that.

Haha, parcel shelf will help to lower it on the cheap ;) plus it'll be a nice sound deadener too :yes:

for now though, main focus is the parcel shelf and custom CAI. May get rid of the box under the stock intake mouth (guessing charcoal canister is there?). Just want an arseload more air and a parcel shelf that doesn't rattle, plus might do extractors before lowering. Power is a bigger issue than ride height for now (till Dad can pay me back the $600 he owes me).

rolla boy is your ae92 efi or carby?

mines carby ?

How you going to your parcel shelf?

wouldnt mind making a custom one thicker aswell for my 6x9s.

nice ride, cause i was thinkin do i get an exhaust or not or 1.5 inch exhaust tip to make the car look nicer. decisions :)

p.s nice ride

My mechanic reckons he'll do it all for me (with me there to help/learn) for just over $1100, not going to complain about that.

40 bucks for an anglegrider off ebay 2 bucks for a cutting disc. because honestly it's just not worth that much ever for something so simple, you can go to supercheap and pick up some sheap arse shockies as well, 1100 is the price you would pay for a next to new ca18 or 17"'s all round, if you're worried about learning youtube it or invest in some quality instructional videos from the 1980's and if he quoted you 1100 i would NOT go back to him again...

just sayin <3

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COILOVERS-Corolla-AE82-AE86-AE90-AE91-AE92-AE100-CE100-/110622173178?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c19867fa

a bolt on accessory for 3/4's of the price and 100 times the quality

Edited by ToasticlesAe82

but does that 1100 include labour?

if so....

400 for 4 springs (prolly kings i guess?)

400 for 4 shocks (doesnt get much cheaper than 100each....prolly monroe or something))

300 for labor (70-80/hr is about the going rate for a mechanic)

sounds about right to me.

i you have 1100 to spend on suspension, find someone with some 2nd hand lowered springs of some description, buy 4 x bilstein B6's from US ebay. get a rattle gun and some spring compressors, and your car will handle ALOT better than the cheap shocks, look good, and you would have learnt something about you car!

• Upvote 1

if so....

400 for 4 shocks (doesnt get much cheaper than 100each....prolly monroe or something))

i you have 1100 to spend on suspension, find someone with some 2nd hand lowered springs of some description, buy 4 x bilstein B6's from US ebay. get a rattle gun and some spring compressors, and your car will handle ALOT better than the cheap shocks, look good, and you would have learnt something about you car!

this i guess what i was trying to say but didn't think about, i.e."is it really worth it?"

rolla boy is your ae92 efi or carby?

mines carby ?

How you going to your parcel shelf?

wouldnt mind making a custom one thicker aswell for my 6x9s.

nice ride, cause i was thinkin do i get an exhaust or not or 1.5 inch exhaust tip to make the car look nicer. decisions :)

p.s nice ride

Carby. Going to hunt for a air cleaner that faces the opposite direction and set it up with some piping from the wreckers, heaps of room above the gearbox for a fair amount of air to suck through nicely.

Original parcel shelf will have a cardboard copy traced from it and then simply cut it to a close shape with a jigsaw, then round the curves off with a good sand. Should come up tops, ill be posting a 'how to' once ive done it :yes:

How about some progress pics Sam??

if so....

I'm happy with the price because the mechanic said he should be able to get his hands on some konis, and if so, I'm rapt. If I decide to buy kingies, I can get them off ebay for 300 posted.

I wish I had an area to do it all. My problem is space.. Garage is set up for cabinet making, not working on cars. Having a driveway on an angle is annoying enough.. :bash:

Pics will be up soon, let me get some stuff done to it first :laff:

Another idea.. I'm a real ideas man..

Mount the washer bottle somewhere else and shove a big f@$koff airbox in its place..

Edited by ROLLA'BOY

this i guess what i was trying to say but didn't think about, i.e."is it really worth it?"

Well, I'm happy to invest money in my car and do things properly (not cutting springs etc) as I plan on keeping it for a while. I'm keen as mustard to give it some street appeal, but don't want it to draw unnecessary attention from the 5-0. I love my car, hence why it is important for me to keep it from defection.

Well, I'm happy to invest money in my car and do things properly (not cutting springs etc) as I plan on keeping it for a while. I'm keen as mustard to give it some street appeal, but don't want it to draw unnecessary attention from the 5-0. I love my car, hence why it is important for me to keep it from defection.

fair enough broseph, nothing wrong with not wanting unwanted attention :D (cwutididthar?), getting kingies of ebay FTW

keen to see some proggey!!!!