Steering Rack Conversion

SLW42

Can i get away with using a ke70 crossmember and steering rack? Will it make the motor sit to high in the car, to far back? To far forward? What would be an easier way of doing it, has this particular conversion already been covered on here? Any help is appreciated greatly CAN SOMEBODY GIVE OF DIMENSIONS OF BOTH CARS LIKE TRACK AND CROSSMEMBER WIDTHS please :)

Edited by SLW42

Members dont see this ad

I just remembered that there is a guy in Canberra that fitted an ae71 crossmember into a ke35 to fit his 4age. I think I recall him saying it had a fair bit of camber. But don't qoute me on that. I've been trying to get my mate in Canberra to ask him about it so that I can find out how hard it is to do.

Or the other way is weld brackets for the steering rack on the ke3x/5x crossmember for the rack. Have a look at the 1jzgte ke30 on here. You know the light blue one with the tubs. He fitted a ke70 rack to his ke30 crossmember. I'm guessing the hardest part would be making sure it's centre?

Matt

I was looking into this not long ago.. maybe look at the other cars like the ta22 rack and pinion conversion thread over on toymods to give you some idea what is involved. Not sure how similar the process would be but here is the thread.. http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=14102

To me it looks like more trouble than its worth. :) If there is a problem with your steering I would try renewing all steering components and I think you will find the original steering is actually pretty good, its just that all the parts are probably more than 30 yrs old so they are worn out.

Cheers

Chris

I did a rack and pinion conversion for my KE25 as Taz Rx mentions above. Thanks for the Sale 'Bump' Tax Rx. :yes:

The thread for the rack and pinon conversion is http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=39042

This is different from the KE3x KE5x models. But the above thread shows the measurements of the AE86 steering geometry. Of course the ehem... 'legendary' AE86 can be greatly improved apon for better, more direct, more angle, more feel steering. Just like it's suspension is often improved apon.

Don't use my LCA inner pivot point measurements with KE30 or later steering, you'll end up with lots of toe in during compression. It works perfect for KE2x knuckles though, but these would need to be modified for KE30 or later struts.

I had new everything in my steering box set up, but the rack and pinion steering I have is MUCH better. Don't know how much better a standard rack/pinion setup would be than a new draglink. A bit more feel, less toe change under heavy braking or hits as drag links actually flex a fair it.

I had a quote from a guy who'se done rack conversions including a Datto 1600, and he said expect $6000-$7000. Sounds excessive- maybe it is. But by the time you actually do all the work, research, more research, make it, change it etc you'll see why so much. I ended up doing over 50hours or research myself, talked to experts, looked at conversions etc. Let alone the making, trying, testing, improving etc. It is not straight forward, from king pin angles, anckerman angles, front bump steer to rear roll steer relationships, castor rod placement etc.

In the end I'm glad I did it, but at the time was wandering when will it end.

Here endth my 2 cents....

So it is possible then just way outta the price range for most people and for those challenged like myself when it comes to understanding ackerman and all the rest of it :jamie: looks like it'll just stay the steering box and new bits