4age Is In Ke70 But Wont Turn Over

capt. crunch

I have basically straight swapped a 4age big port from my ae71 which was damaged into a ke70, both were 1984 slant fronts.

Basically when I did the swap i put bits of tape with labels on each part i disconnected so that I could just plug it all straight back in. I did this and now the engine is in, when i turn it on and try turning it over it is pumping fuel but not turning over.

I did notice this wire, which has been stripped but has nothing on it, I am wondering if it might have had a terminal on that should plug in somewhere or not? it is plain black and it leads towards the ECU's side of the loom, the stripped end is located near the plug which connects to the exhaust manifold.

post-11352-1282628602_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

hard to diagnose with out being there,

but your starter motor only requires 3 things to spin the engine

1, ground, so make sure your engine has a ground strap attached to it.

2, constant power, this is the chunky wire attached to your starter motor that goes straight from your battery.

3, the trigger wire, this is the signal from the ignition key that shoots off the solenoid in the starter and gets it spinning.

i suspect that that random wire you have may have something to do with #3, so have a look at your starter motor and locate the small trigger wire and follow it and see where it goes.

then let us know how you go with that.

a quick check you can do is put a multi meter between the large terminal on your starter (the constant) and ground, and you should get 12V across that. this checks both your engine ground and your constant (though if your engine ground is crap, it may show up 12V with the meter, but not have enough juice to turn it over, but lets hope that isnt the case!)

also put your multi meter between that random wire and ground, and hit the start key. just to see what happends...

Edited by ke70dave

hard to diagnose with out being there,

2, constant power, this is the chunky wire attached to your starter motor that goes straight from your battery.

3, the trigger wire, this is the signal from the ignition key that shoots off the solenoid in the starter and gets it spinning.

i suspect that that random wire you have may have something to do with #3, so have a look at your starter motor and locate the small trigger wire and follow it and see where it goes.

then let us know how you go with that.

a quick check you can do is put a multi meter between the large terminal on your starter (the constant) and ground, and you should get 12V across that. this checks both your engine ground and your constant (though if your engine ground is crap, it may show up 12V with the meter, but not have enough juice to turn it over, but lets hope that isnt the case!)

also put your multi meter between that random wire and ground, and hit the start key. just to see what happends...

yep it was just a trigger wire issue, the wiring loom between the AE and KE was varied slightly so a quick check with the multimeter let me find the correct wire at the fuse box end and just spliced it in from there.

its all good and going now, pretty successful first build over in just a weekend and 2 extra afternoons.

• Upvote 1

ok so its all up and running now and i was adjusting the timing today.... i tried bridging that two prong plug and adjusting the ignition timing, but bridging did nothing.

i first checked timing at idle without the bridge, then i revved it and my timing didnt advance at all as the revs picked up....

then i put the bridge in and nothing changed, idle stayed the same, timing stayed the same and it also didnt advance.

my timing was also at some rediculous number like ~22-25 BTDC i set it down to around 12 now as I'm unsure what's going on with the timing advance not engaging?

• 5 years later...

Digging up an old af thread to say thanks for this.

Checking back to basics just saved me time and money.