Ae82 Brake Shoes Bendix

rockcox

Hi all,

Just replaced brake pads, shoes and fluid on my housemate's 1988 AE82 Seca.

post-10524-1282980884_thumb.jpg

Bendix bs1602 shoes (right) have about 5mm less width than the ones that came off. No drama, my parts guy said it's OK and that they probably use a different compound that gives the same stopping. Not that the rears do much anyway.

The only thing is if they ever get replaced again the drums may need machining..... having said that, the brakes will probably outlive the car.

what was more worrying and annoying was that the shoes didn't fit into the adjusting slots properly

post-10524-1282981738_thumb.jpg

I had to file a bit off the slot (bendix on the right) so that they seated all the way.

post-10524-1282981814_thumb.jpg

New parts on old cars; you always need to modify something.

Members dont see this ad
According to brakepads.com.au

AE80 brake shoe = BS1602

AE82 brake shoe = BS1379

And if you search bendix for BS1379 it will come up as a Datsun 120y shoe which is 35mm wide which is where you have lost your 5mm over the BS1602.

Just a thought,

Would it be worth creating a thread or discussion board to identify incorrectly listed parts and, once confirmed, for a moderator to officially contact the manufacturer on behalf of the group and have their listings changed?

How many ae82 owners know that they need to order 120y shoes?

Just a thought,

Would it be worth creating a thread or discussion board to identify incorrectly listed parts and, once confirmed, for a moderator to officially contact the manufacturer on behalf of the group and have their listings changed?

How many ae82 owners know that they need to order 120y shoes?

Not even sure if it is correct though but with the mistakes I have found in the bendix catalogue I would not be surprised.

Maybe you could call the local parts suppliers and see who has a set of BS1379's in stock and match up the old pair, if you can't then I will when I change the Mr's car from drums to discs.

Not even sure if it is correct though but with the mistakes I have found in the bendix catalogue I would not be surprised.

Maybe you could call the local parts suppliers and see who has a set of BS1379's in stock and match up the old pair, if you can't then I will when I change the Mr's car from drums to discs.

OK Trev, will do that. Bendix also list the 1602 for my AE95 so I may have problems there too.

What do people think about my parts listed incorrectly idea?