Ae82 A/C

robax

Hi guys

I have an 87 AE82 rolla with a 4ac engine, it came with A/C when my parents bought it yearssssss back. My dad decided to get the airconditioning regassed (don't know why, it seemed to work perfectly) a couple of months back & around two weeks later it stopped working...

Whenever I switched on, the compressor/condensor would make an awful sound so I'm guessing that it is dead & obviously the cause of the A/C not working. Since then I have taken the belt off, just incase I ever feel the need to try it, switch it on causing something bad to happen...

Summer is coming up!

My question is, does anyone know of any sources for new/refurbished condensors?

If so, how much do they go for?

Cheers!

Edited by robax

Members dont see this ad

It is the compressor, the condensor is the 'radiator' if you would.

One would think that the 82 a/c would only work with line pressure present (will have to look into it).

Did the A/C get a retro fit or is it still running R12?

You are better off just using a 2nd hand compressor as it is cheaper but bare in mind that shops won't do r12 filling so it will have to be converted to r134a.

Do you have an estimate as to how much it would cost to get a new aftermarket compressor & conversion?

Priced it for a mates vn a while back (2 years) and was 1200 bucks.

EDIT: Maybe send Medicine_man a pm and ask what price he can get you a comp for.

Edited by Trev

I can confirm what Trev is saying. And he's spot on the money.

I replaced the A/C in my AE82 about 12 months ago. Total cost was just over $1200.

It was converted to R134A refrigerant. I got a genuine compressor for about $700 (there are cheaper aftermarket ones available, I think they start about $550) the rest was labor, various fittings, cleaning out the system.

Well worth it. My A/C system gets down to 2 degrees before switching off. Makes driving interesting when the windows are frosted over.

Edited by clubby2084