Ae92 4Afc Corolla Starting Issues

my seca can sometimes be hard to start. ie turns over really slow. it also makes a popping noise like a misfire out the exhaust when changing gears and at low revs, starts missing when i put my foot down. i was thinking electrical issue, ie battery, bad earth or could there be more to it? any help would be appreciated. oh and when the car is not running and i turn the stereo up, the speakers start cutting out. thanks guys

Members dont see this ad
ie turns over really slow

Problem number one- battery poor, starter/solenoid poor, bad connection going to the starter or back to battery. Check all the leads to start with.

popping noise like a misfire out the exhaust when changing gears

I can't see how that is related to problem number one... Is that just as you lift off to let the revs drop? Ignition timing retarded, which would make it hard to start, or burnt valve, which would make it hard to start, or head gasket leaking...

starts missing when i put my foot down

Could be a lot of things in problem number 3. Igntion timing, (better check points dwell & timing) plugs or leads, (check both), burnt valve again, or head gasket, not to mention some fuel issues.

plus the air leaks!

So plenty to check before worrying about the speakers! :laff:

Edited by altezzaclub

• 9 months later...

Hey, I am having a problem where by say in the morning i start the car, by the time i get to work (25 minutes later) put it in park and it revs higher than it originally did in the morning.. turn it off and it stutters and shakes . Next time i start the car it is really really hard to start, to start it i have to put my foot flat to the floor then turn the key.. Normally it is just start and take off (ofcourse let it warm up a bit first) but still...

If i stop the car and it is idling high, i put my foot flat to rev it release and the idle returns to normal.. any ideas? It struggles to start after it stutters when key is removed all the time unless i put my boot in it.. any ideas guys ?

I am new to the forum though so sorry if i am a nooooooob..

Hey, I am having a problem where by say in the morning i start the car, by the time i get to work (25 minutes later) put it in park and it revs higher than it originally did in the morning.. turn it off and it stutters and shakes . Next time i start the car it is really really hard to start, to start it i have to put my foot flat to the floor then turn the key.. Normally it is just start and take off (ofcourse let it warm up a bit first) but still...

If i stop the car and it is idling high, i put my foot flat to rev it release and the idle returns to normal.. any ideas? It struggles to start after it stutters when key is removed all the time unless i put my boot in it.. any ideas guys ?

I am new to the forum though so sorry if i am a nooooooob..

I have similar issues with mine, it's just the carburetor I think. I sometimes have to pump the gas pedal a bit to allow the fuel in the cylinders. This only happens when the engine is completely cold and I go to start the car in the morning. The stuttering and shaking is due to low rpm's at idle, it shouldn't be a major concern. Is yours a manul or automatic? Manual transmissions tend to have lower idle rpm's and will vibrate a bit more than automatics at stand-still.

Also, check your spark plugs to make sure they are in good condition.

Sparks are fine just changed 2 weeks ago..

Okay, i found my issue, the choke cable(i think) had a lot of slack in it same with the throttle cable, so i tightened them up.. this is when my problems started.. so i returned them back to normal today and turned the thumb screw kind of knob thing on the back of the engine which is the actual idle adjustment and turned it up a bit .. went for a 2 hour drive and it was fixed..

I know that you've fixed the problem but an issue I found with these engines was the rotary button ( in the distributor) isn't hard to crack. The metal plate can twist a little and misfire to the sparks. Again I know you've fixed the problem but if someone else has similar problems an looks at this page there's a couple of options to look at

I know that you've fixed the problem but an issue I found with these engines was the rotary button ( in the distributor) isn't hard to crack. The metal plate can twist a little and misfire to the sparks. Again I know you've fixed the problem but if someone else has similar problems an looks at this page there's a couple of options to look at

thank you anyway your response is greatly appreciated