4Agze Rwd Conversion... What Starter Motor? (Don'T Stab Me)

ionise

Ok so in the hope that no one flames me for asking a question related to 4AGZE -> RWD with all the information available, I am looking for a list of car models of which the starter motor can be used with an AE71 T50 behind an AE101 4AGZE with an AE92 212mm flywheel, please! I cannot find a definitive answer, sure there's people who say a 4AC starter works and 4AGE starter works, but are they talking about starters from FWD or RWD format etc. Common sense says the AE71 4AC starter and AE86 4AC/4AGE starter would be immediately obvious, but was the flywheel not a smaller diameter? Does this hold no bearing on whether the starter can be used or not? And on top of my question other than a wrecker or forum member, is there anywhere you can purchase reconditioned or used starter motors from in Sydney, thanks! (and don't stab me)

[/walloftext]

Edited by ionise

Members dont see this ad

Okie dokie so considering I'm using the same clutch I should be fine. Thanks trev.

Sorry mate, what I was saying is that the flywheels are the same, the 212 relates to the size of the clutch.

Get a 212mm clutch kit and use the throw out bearing for that kit.

Ok so everywhere I have read the GZE flywheel and clutch are all 225mm, the smallport GE are 212mm and the bigport GE are 200mm. I know that I need a 212mm or 200mm clutch/flywheel combo to fit in my T50. What I want to know is if the AE101 starter that my GZE is coming out of can be used with this combination or if I need to get a starter from something else... and if so, what car can I get one out of that will work with this setup? (easily available... please!)

Edited by ionise

Ok so everywhere I have read the GZE flywheel and clutch are all 225mm, the smallport GE are 212mm and the bigport GE are 200mm. I know that I need a 212mm or 200mm clutch/flywheel combo to fit in my T50. What I want to know is if the AE101 starter that my GZE is coming out of can be used with this combination or if I need to get a starter from something else... and if so, what car can I get one out of that will work with this setup? (easily available... please!)

AE82/90/92/93.

Thanks again Trev, sorry for the confusion! How do I go about getting an AE86 thrust bearing... is there some way I can get a 212mm AE92 clutch kit and ask them to pair it with an AE86 kit bearing? (I have a 212mm flywheel sitting here, so it's the obvious choice)

Thanks again Trev, sorry for the confusion! How do I go about getting an AE86 thrust bearing... is there some way I can get a 212mm AE92 clutch kit and ask them to pair it with an AE86 kit bearing? (I have a 212mm flywheel sitting here, so it's the obvious choice)

Use the 212 throw out bearing and don't forget to get the AE71 spigot bearing.

So what I've read about the FWD throwout bearing being incompatible with the T50 is bs then? Because there are no 212mm 4AGE clutches that came in RWD format... right?

Well I used a fwd throwout bearing in my t50, I have even used the clutch fork in one.

EDIT: just found this in the FAQ:

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/A_Series/Converting_to_RWD

Flywheel / Clutch / Pressure Plate / Throwout Bearing;

There are 2 different size 4AGE flywheels, for 200mm and 212mm clutches (Sometimes the 212mm clutch is referred to as 215mm). If yours is the 200mm clutch, just buy an AE71/AE86 200mm clutch kit. If yours is the 212mm Clutch, you will have to buy an AE92 100KW 4AGE 212mm clutch kit (also you will have to buy a throwout bearing from an AE71/AE86, as the AE92 clutch kit throwout bearing is completely different). Apparently the 212mm clutch will get better grip as it has more surface area.

Spigot/Pilot Bearing;

FF / MR mount 4AGE engines do not have a spigot bearing in the crankshaft. You can press a spigot bearing from an AE71/AE86 4A-C into the crankshaft. Part number for the Spigot/Pilot bearing is 6001 from most bearing shops.

I would not have thought that the 200mm throwout bearing would be different.

Edited by Trev

All the RWD swaps I've seen done ran the factory T50 throwout, the fwd one has slightly the wrong diam on the shaft from memory... The clutch is different diam, but the spline and the spacing between the fingers of the clutch is the same as they're designed around the same gearbox. Factory starter will work fine fine.

All the RWD swaps I've seen done ran the factory T50 throwout, the fwd one has slightly the wrong diam on the shaft from memory... The clutch is different diam, but the spline and the spacing between the fingers of the clutch is the same as they're designed around the same gearbox. Factory starter will work fine fine.

The 82 throwout bearing fitted like a glove on my T50, here is even a pic of everything I got with the box (notice no throwout bearing):

post-1373-049588800 1286442827_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The 82 throwout bearing fitted like a glove on my T50, here is even a pic of everything I got with the box (notice no throwout bearing):

post-1373-049588800 1286442827_thumb.jpg

Sorry to crash the thread and I do not want to start a new one but will the T50 gearbox mount fit a W5* box

post-10153-091839300 1287917316_thumb.jpg

Edited by _FNQ_rolla_