4Age Into Ke70, Legality In Victoria

Freddy

Hi guys.

Newbie alert. This is my first post...

first of all, yes i used the search function but wasn't able to find any info on this question, so here goes (hopefully i won't get flamed too much :lolcry: )

i owned a 4 speed manual ke70 for about 5 years and it was dead stock but was still a really fun car to drive. it was my first intro to jap cars and just how good they can be. i moved on from that and ended up in another good handling light weight rwd jap car (mx5) which over the years has been modified fairly extensively (tein coilovers, sway bars, avo turbo kit, brake upgrade, lsd diff, etc etc). the problem is that i'm a bit paranoid and i no longer enjoy driving my mx5 on the roads as i feel that it's just a defect waiting to happen. i do track days every couple of months and apart from that, the car rarely gets driven anymore. basically i drive to and from the track and then it gets parked in the garage.

my daily is a fwd later model 323 and it is pretty dire.... i need my soul back. help! i want a daily that is fun to drive!

so i'm wanting to know if it's possible to fit a 4age to a ke70 in vic, legally. i would probably do a few suspension and brake mods etc, but i'd want it to remain legal and if the boys in blue hassled me, i'd want to be able to show them engineers certificates etc.

the aim would be to have a car that is 100% legal and comfortable to drive daily, that could also be a bit of fun on the track (sprint or drift) every now and then. the street part is much more important than the track part.... i already have the mx5 for that.

finally, i have a line on acquiring a slant front ke70 cheaply thru a friend. i prefer the earlier style front end , and from reading this forum it seems that it's just a bolt up job to transfer the front panels / lights / bonnet. can someone confirm this please... ?

Members dont see this ad

Welcome to the site mate :)

Good choice for a daily . you will be glad once you get back in an old rolla ;)

Slant front to square front conversion is easy pie. all bolts on. you will need bonnet, guards, headlights, grill and pretty sure the bever panel/front apron. (bottom piece)

Ke70 to 4age is easy to get engineers with. there is an engineer in bayswater (near toyospares, edelmaire rd) that can do that for you. approx $700-800 for the cert.

daym 800bucks.

mine was...80 bucks (QLD though)

i would ring around a few engineers, see what they can offer, its a simple thing to mod, only increasing capacity by 20% and adding some fuel injection, and its all bolt in if you use the right bits.

also for the slant to flat front, you also need the grill that goes between the bonnet and the windscreen. and the headlights wont bolt up unless you change the bit of metal that they bolt to (cut/weld etc), but i hear its pretty easy to just make them fit, drill a few new holes etc.

daym 800bucks.

Yeah, we get ripped off in Vic. from what ive found, an engineer in vic wont write a report/cert for anything under $500..

also for the slant to flat front, you also need the grill that goes between the bonnet and the windscreen.

scuttle panel their called. didnt know you needed to change that. there you go! :)

daym 800bucks.

holy shit.

I'm gonna go for a road trip when I get my engine in. haha.

Sorry mate gonna hijack your thread real quick. Almost same thing. :wink:

I've got you're average bigport. I'm getting twin 40 dell'ortos to bolt on aswell.

Now I have my ke70, I'm quite certain you all know where I'm going with this.

I'm expecting to get defected, then I'll try get it engineered or "replace" the motor witha 5k and the 40s

My question is:

Will this be able to get engineered?

Will I get epa'd for this?

Will I have to go back to stock?

Cheers.

why expect to get defected? do it once, do it properly.

and if it costs you alot to get it legal then suck it up.

then when you get pulled over, have all your documents ready in the car. i have a folder of documents in my glove box for my mod plates etc to show to the police. not had to show it yet (touch wood), but one day i will.

edit:

this is pretty interesting.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/environment/impact/emission.aspx

anyone want to go and check the compliance plate and check what ADRs are stamped on a ke70? i can't as i am at work...but i will endeavour to when i get home.

Edited by ke70dave

why expect to get defected? do it once, do it properly.

and if it costs you alot to get it legal then suck it up.

then when you get pulled over, have all your documents ready in the car. i have a folder of documents in my glove box for my mod plates etc to show to the police. not had to show it yet (touch wood), but one day i will.

edit:

this is pretty interesting.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/environment/impact/emission.aspx

anyone want to go and check the compliance plate and check what ADRs are stamped on a ke70? i can't as i am at work...but i will endeavour to when i get home.

I'm on my P's still... If its modded I can't drive it :[ I am doign it properly, just not mod plated.

ke70: $57.60

Damn! I can almost afford one, if only I had the space for it, I could lower it, put on king springs.... it'd be fulli hectic bro.

maybe i should head out to bayswater and have a chat to this engineer fella.

That would be my advice. Most people go through the process of illegally installing the engine, drive til they get defected and then go and see the engineer and realise that they need to replace/upgrade something. Have a chat before you start to some engineers, pick one then do everything through that person so you don't get conflicting stories. Vic roads can be the same, I've heard all kinds of different things from different people about different engines into cars (everything from drive it down and we'll swap it over on the rego with no problems, you'll need an engineers cert for that, and nope you can't do that at all!), unfortunately the best response usually isn't correct. You don't want that fear when you are driving around thinking that all the police are about to pull you over and defect you :fuzz: (I guess you already know what it's like with the MX5).

Welcome to Rollaclub and congratulations on making a decent post instead of the usual "I want a fulli-sick dorifto pig, what do I need to do?" post :)