Let Me Pick Your Brain

Grom.

First off, i'm James. Just purchased my first car. An 83 KE70 along with and engine to re-build and fit. A 4AGE silvertop 20v to be exact. Anyway, my question is, because my rolla is an auto (ex shopping trolly owned by a nice old lady) and with the intention of turning it in a little dori monster i'm going to have to convert it to a manual. Now i'm not worried about the actual fitting of the box as being in the trade i have the tools and hoists at my dispence, what i do need to know though is what gearbox i should be sourceing? From what i've read it should be a T-50? My other question is for the time being i want to put the box on the back of the stock engine, while in the meantime i fix the 4AGE up. But what problems should i expect to occur when fitting the box to the stock engine? final question, does the T-50 bolt straight up to the back of the 20valve engine? I'm figuring it does seeing as the 4AGE block is the same from the 16v to the 20v, correct me if i'm wrong? I'm going of what i've read haha. Please be kind =p

Members dont see this ad

Hi James.

Putting a t50 behind a stock k motor is a waste of time for your application and will do little to help you in the 4age conversion. it is what it is unless you do a manual conversion with ke70 bits. Expect to pay over $500 for a k-t bellhousing to let you put the t50 behind the k motor, then there are different clutch systems, either cable or hydraulic to integrate with.

Best off collecting parts for the 4age conversion.

You want a T50. But you want a T50 from behind an a series motor like in an ae71 or ae86, otherwise the bellhousing and tail shafts wont fit.

You also want all the supporting parts like clutch hydraulics, lines, clutch flywheel, brackets and mounts, cross members and inlet and exhaust manifolds.

This has been covered a million times, I suggest you just continue your research for a bit and you will be fine.

Thanks for clearing that up for me dude, you seem well clued up. My intention since i was about 13 years old was to have a 20v AE86. But this popped up cheap and i couldn't refuse.

How much do you know as far as getting the car blueslipped once the silvertop is in? Would i need to get it enginered or should it just be alright with a blue slip. I've been told because the later model AE71 came with a 4AGE in it and it's practicly the same car, that you can get away with just a blueslip. This true or was someone tanking my chain?

Spirit's right- just drive an auto until you have the 4AGE ready... its called "incentive" :laff:

You could fit a K40 or K50 manual, but the clutch would be cable and you would need a hydraulic setup for the T50. If you're lucky the pedal box you'd have to fit for the K50 would also do for the T50 once you swapped the clutch pedal over and fitted the hydraulics. If you were out of luck then you'd be stripping the dash out twice to fit manual pedal boxes...

Fitting the K series manual isn't too bad, considering what other work you're about to embark on, but for less than say 12months, certainly 6months, just drive an auto... slow as shit, can't go uphill and chews petrol!

Details in here-

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/page__p__445727__fromsearch__1#entry445727

The pink slip stuff seems to vary tremendously according to where you live. If in doubt put a 4K sticker on top of the cam cover! :P