4K Crank In 3K Block?

granny_spec

hi I'm rebuilding a 3k for my ke20 its the original engine but... ive been reading the faq/wiki and think it would be better if it had the stroke of a 4k crank and as i can get one for nothing i think it would be a cool sleeper obveously other mods would aply, so pretty much a 3k block with 4k gear and specs

is this posible,

cheers

christian.

Members dont see this ad

Yes it is. No it's not easy.

The 4K crank will fit and spin in a 3K, but the problem lies when you put rods on it. They hit the sides of the bores. You need to get the sides machined/ scalloped out for it to fit. You then need to find suitable pistons as the stroke of the crank will have increased, but not the stroke of the block, IYKWIM. I used Charade pistons with a custom pin arrangement. We had to buy six all up because they sell them in sets of three. We ended up with about 1360cc.

Slight panel beating on the sump is also in order for clearance as well.

The ONLY reason why I did this was for competition purposes. I don't recommend it for any other reason.

Mine was a $3000 motor 8 years ago and it was a sponsered deal. It did have other things done to it, but I also know 7 different types of pistons went in before we found some that we were happy with.

This is not a simple job.

Put a 4/5K in. same result, MUCH cheaper.