Ke20 Drum To Drum Upgrade And Diff Issues

trelf

ok so got me a reasonable KE20 for $250 and i really want to upgrade the rear brakes/diff.

Anyone know if a drum to drum from a later model KE is relatively easy to swap over?? and the complications of doing so??

Also, what diff is in the 74 KE20? because mine is NOISY!

Any help would be apprectiated as this car will be my first project :)

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

afaik you cannot use diff's from a new model corolla as yours is leaf springs and ke70 onwards is coil sprung.

You may be able to grind off the spring perches and such and have leaf mounts welded on.

Might pay to talk to an engineer and get his opinion

Edited by Jono.C

Need to do a search, it has been covered heaps.

In a nut shell. pull old axels and brakes. Get hold of some KE55 axels and brakes, don't bother with KE30 as they arent much bigger if any. Need to get later model axels shortened a bit. Approx. 5mm off the spline from memory. Can turn them down in a lathe. fit into KE20 housing. Just be careful as there are two different types of diffs. Jap and Borg Warner and I don't think you can interchange axels.....

You can also change the front bolt pattern to match very easily but you can look that up :)