Cleaning Bolt Threads

Super Jamie

often working on a 30-odd yearold car, you undo a bolt and the thread is all full of crap. i always worry about stripping threads out (god knows i've done enough of them), so i like to give them a clean and a spray with inox before putting the bolt back in

cleaning the thread in the body or part isn't usually a problem, you can grind a bit lengthways out of a bolt and wind that in, cleaning all the crap out, or i've even gone to the massive several dollars expense of buying M6, M8 and M10 thread taps, which i just quickly wind in and out and get all the gunk out nicely

bolts are another matter

not really wanting to spend like 20 dollars each on the accompanying M6, M8 and M10 die, i usually hold a razor blade in one hand, and thread the bolt against the blade with the other hand. it gets just about anything out of the threads, from dirt and silicon to rust, but it's tedious, especially if you have alot of dirty bolts to do

what do you guys do to clean bolts? are there any secrets here i'm missing out on?

Members dont see this ad

How can you possibly get by without a bench grinder with wire wheel??????

I use mine so often that it should have a step-on switch for convenience.

I keep a pair of visegrips right next to the grinder for holding the heads of small bolts, and other parts that need cleaning up - sure saves on skin.