Miller's Finished Ke35

-Miller-

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much lower do you want it? I would suggest taking it back to the place that reset them for you, and tell them to make it low enough.

As far as turning leaves over, it's easy enough, but can be dangerous if you aren't careful. The leaves have a bolt through the middle of them, and little "arms" bent around all the leaves at each end, so you unbend these arms, then undo the bolt. Put the spring in a G Clamp before you undo the middle bolt, to take the pressure off. Once you have all the leaves apart, you sit which one/ones you want to flip over upside down on top, and use 2 or 3 G Clamps, from the outside of the spring towards the middle, to slowly squash the leaves together, then put the bolt back in, and bend the arms back around.

This is illegal, and not the best way to lower the car, but blocks are illegal too (in ACT) and having leaves flipped over is better than blocks in my opinion.

flipping leaves is not the proper way to lower a car either

leaves work together to make a progressive spring rate, if you flip a leaf then you both ruin that progressive rate so the rear end doesn't handle in a linear predictable fashion, and it ruins the total spring rate so you end up with soft springs which sucks

i know for a fact if you just flip the top leaf on a KE corolla you'll be on the bump stops. people often flip the second smallest leaf and get a good ride height. then complain that their car handles like shit

there are two ways to lower leaves properly: reset, inverting eyes. end of story

This is illegal, and not the best way to lower the car,

As I just said, it's not a good way to do it, and if you only flip one leaf over it doesn't go anywhere near the bumpstops, I have done this many times, and currently in my car have the shortest and next shortest leaves flipped, and have had for 5 years. It sits on the bump stops with both turned over. My car is not a race car, as has been previously stated, so it has been done for looks.

so in effect, you have the two/three leaves working in your spring pack, the bottom two are just there as spacers so the u-bolts can do up (cos if you take the leaves out, you run out of thread when you tighten them up)

i personally think that's ok, as long as the springs aren't not working against each other, that's what you want to avoid

in all honesty, that's exactly what i was thinking of doing to my panelvan, because it's not a racecar either, and i'm too stingy to spring for resets. except i was going make up some little rectangles out of 8mm steel strap and use them instead of the leaves so it's not so obvious to the feds

flipping springs, is probably not so bad in a panelvan, as they have extra helper springs, as compared to a sedan/coupe. normally the vans are to stiff in the rear for actual performance handling. they are designed to take a load.

i know my ke16 wagon is way stiffer than my ke15 coupe. the wagon has a tendency to walk sideways on bumpy corners. it really needs a load in the back, then it is happy.

Edited by Felix