Ae86 Front End Suspension + Brakes Into Ke55

Chillin

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of putting some Ae86 coil overs and brakes into my ke55,

I'm under the understanding that the camber tops will not complatiable with the ke55 strut bolt paturn. So my first question is would a re location of the bolts in the camber top be the best option, or should i go out and buy some new tops and mod them to fit.

Secondly: with the larger brake upgrade, will a new master cylinder benefit my cause, or will the standard one cut it?

Has anyone done this conversion before? as i was searching and couldn't find any technical threads backing it up with pictures and notation......

I know a few dudes have done the mod on the forum, would love to speak to them if they are willing to share some pro's and con's.

Cheers Hayden

Members dont see this ad

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of putting some Ae86 coil overs and brakes into my ke55,

I'm under the understanding that the camber tops will not complatiable with the ke55 strut bolt paturn. So my first question is would a re location of the bolts in the camber top be the best option, or should i go out and buy some new tops and mod them to fit.

I'm pretty sure the ke55 camber hats will bolt onto the ae86 struts. At least thats what i've done with the t-18 struts i've got under my thing. I know the t-18 camber hats will fit but i went with the ke30 ones cause they have a lower profile. I'd say sniff it and see with the ae86.

Secondly: with the larger brake upgrade, will a new master cylinder benefit my cause, or will the standard one cut it?

Can't say on that one, but at a guess you'll be needing a bigger MC cause of the bigger calipers.

Cheers for the reply!

They are all in now, working perfect. Just a little info for anyone that is after it:

The coil overs bolted straight in with some minor fabrication. the strut tower top needed to be re-drilled for the new paturn, this consisted of a 10mm hole to be drilled directly to the center of the car on the most forward hole (5mm over). not the perfect fix but it is working well and can be aided with a strut tower brace. No master cylinder upgrade was needed.

As for feed back, the brakes work amazing, everything is smooth and working correctly. I highly recommend the 86 brake conversion for anyone after a little more bite to stop.

Cheers Hayden

• 1 month later...

I'm also doing this conversion but with standard ae86 struts .. i was wondering what the camber result was like after installing them, much difference?

Well i have the camber tops approximatively 2/3 of the way to full negative camber and I'm running 2.3 degrees at the front wheels. More than enough if your after that 'look' without compromising with uneven tire wear.

The stock struts would have very little camber without lca or camber top mods.

Much increase in track compared to stock struts?

Cheers!

Track is the same in my instance, I could not imagine that changing more than 5mm with a strut swap. Hubs are what will change the track and the 86's have the same or very similar offset to the ke55 stock hubs.

so you used all original steering components?? apart from having to drill the hole it was a straight forward bolt in then ??

Exactly! they bolt straight into your original components apart from the re-drill of the one hole in the strut tower. Large washers Would be advisable as the bolts are not as thick as the 55's on the camber top. Alternatively a strut brace would sure everything up.

I've been running this now for around 2500km's and have found no negative effects, apart from 8kg springs being hard as hell.

Ill Get some photo's now and chuck them up for you as reference.

post-11193-0-47515500-1305932739_thumb.jpg

post-11193-0-54141000-1305932799_thumb.jpg

post-11193-0-86677900-1305932863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chillin

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...