Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The First 'Big' Thing I Built

Featured Replies

  • Replies 41
  • Views 77.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Thankyou Mr Shades :cool:

 

Mmmm...yummy! Is that a teak, mahogany or just-a-nice-varnish deck? I don't care, I like it, just curious. Just need to replace the two in the back with women in bikins & its a win! :y:

Edited by carbonboy

SAILING SHOTS YESSIIR

 

 

nice work

i wanted to attempt somthing similar when i was 16 i love sailing good work

Full mahogany... Nothin' but class :)

 

I'd love to restore (well, pay someone like you to restore because I'm effing useless with wood) a genuine Clinker runabout but that's mega $$$$... I'll settle for a modern replica.

  • Author

SAILING SHOTS YESSIIR

 

nice work, i wanted to attempt somthing similar when i was 16 i love sailing good work

 

Cheers buddy, if its any consolation the guy in my class I grabbed by the neck was the 16yr old. :lolcry: I was 22/23 when I completed it, I doubt I would have as a 16 year old.

 

No sailing shots but when it hits the water there will be I promise!

 

Full mahogany... Nothin' but class :)

 

I'd love to restore (well, pay someone like you to restore because I'm effing useless with wood) a genuine Clinker runabout but that's mega $$$$... I'll settle for a modern replica.

 

*drools* Mahogany... Most people seem to think a massive mega-motor cruiser (they're NOT yachts, a yacht/yot is a means of measuring wind speed & direction) is the way to impress. :no2: Get yourself even a little motor cruiser/runabout like this & you're in! I guess its because it doesnt scream "I've got WAY too much f-ing money!"

 

Replica, schmeplica...save yourself mega-$$$, only the old seadog anorak-types can pick the difference. :wink:

Edited by carbonboy

Damn straight... Replica woody, 1UZFE and velvet drive inboard :)

 

I've got a little place on lake Tinaroo up here... But my ex-fisheries 15ft centre console doesn't really turn heads when I pull up to the dock at the restaurant on the other side of the lake :P

  • Author

Damn straight... Replica woody, 1UZFE and velvet drive inboard :)

 

I've got a little place on lake Tinaroo up here... But my ex-fisheries 15ft centre console doesn't really turn heads when I pull up to the dock at the restaurant on the other side of the lake :P

 

Oooh, 1UZFE! :cool: Sure as hell smoother & quieter than the usual 350 Chev (which is more useful serving as the anchor) & not a stinking diseasal.

 

Paint the ex-fisheries boat in desert camouflage...that'll turn heads :wink: Or shiploads of chrome!

Edited by carbonboy

very nice work there, will look really good on the water, looking forward to seeing it in action.

Paint the ex-fisheries boat in desert camouflage...that'll turn heads :wink: Or shiploads of chrome!

hahaha. i see what you did there.

 

good work on the boat. i'm guessing most boats this small don't have carbonfibre reinforcements. you should save some for your ae82. it'll be like a GTR then. :D

  • Author

very nice work there, will look really good on the water, looking forward to seeing it in action.

 

Thanks man :y: I still need to get some sails for her, hunting around local sailing clubs will turn something up but due to space-challenged living arrangements atm she wont be out until the car is done. :(

 

hahaha. i see what you did there.

 

good work on the boat. i'm guessing most boats this small don't have carbonfibre reinforcements. you should save some for your ae82. it'll be like a GTR then. :D

 

Cheers Hendo, yeah most boats like this would have fibreglass reienforcerments if anything, :wink: I just used offcuts laying around. The bow/keel has external fibreglass reo's on it so when coming into shore the bottom will grind that, not the plywood. Might just make a stainless plate for it one day.

 

These offcuts werent any good for work stuff but my old boss refused to throw stuff out. That worked out in my favour when I discovered a black/blue carbon/kevlar cloth that had been laying around for 10 years or so. He didnt want it & I scored enough to do the top layers of my bonnet, front lip & (eventually) hatch spoiler :yes: Funnily enough, I have actually pinched something for the interior of my car from a Nissan Skyline GTR, so it'll be close enough?

Edited by carbonboy

Cheers buddy, if its any consolation the guy in my class I grabbed by the neck was the 16yr old. :lolcry: I was 22/23 when I completed it, I doubt I would have as a 16 year old.

 

No sailing shots but when it hits the water there will be I promise!

 

 

 

*drools* Mahogany... Most people seem to think a massive mega-motor cruiser (they're NOT yachts, a yacht/yot is a means of measuring wind speed & direction) is the way to impress. :no2: Get yourself even a little motor cruiser/runabout like this & you're in! I guess its because it doesnt scream "I've got WAY too much f-ing money!"

 

Replica, schmeplica...save yourself mega-$$, only the old seadog anorak-types can pick the difference. :wink:

 

 

 

 

 

 

wow realy what did the shit do :lolcry:

 

I'm almost 19 now so it was awhile ago i wanted to build one :)

 

id like to attempt a decent size catamaran :rolls:

  • Author

wow realy what did the shit do :lolcry:

 

I'm almost 19 now so it was awhile ago i wanted to build one :)

 

id like to attempt a decent size catamaran :rolls:

 

I had long hair (grown it for about 2 & a bit years) & kept it tied back. He was the guy who decided to grab it with one hand & had a big blob of 2 part expoxy glue on a stick in his other hand. I just wanted to make it clear where I drew the line at joking around, sure joke about doing it if I'm being a smartass. But sneaking up behind someone & grabbing them by the back of the head is great way to get hurt, could just be me though.

 

I'm 27 now, so it been a while since I built it :laff: Shame I'm slow & it hasnt made the water yet :blush:

 

I'd like to build one of these:

 

post-5437-089788500 1303783301_thumb.jpg

 

post-5437-053992700 1303783276_thumb.jpg

 

They're a hydrofoil based craft called a "Moth". Full carbon fibre construction, supposedly like a sail-powered skateboard on water & sailed correctly can do 17 knots in a 12 knot wind. Yes, it can sail faster than the propelling wind! *drools*

Edited by carbonboy

man i would of decked that kid

 

 

my cousins race/sail all around the would and one of them rekons those moths are insane fun

This is a fantastic build thread. Top work mate.

 

 

 

LM_and_TS_2.JPG

Thats a Chris craft isn't it?

 

My mates old man has been trying to sell me a woody hull for years, much smaller than that beast, and it's only a clinker deck, not the full hull. 17 foot, I'd love to drop a flathead in it and do a bit of wakeskatin behind it!

Edited by philbey

  • Author

man i would of decked that kid

 

my cousins race/sail all around the would and one of them rekons those moths are insane fun

 

Not neccessary, he got the message loud & clear :yes: If I did, I would've been expelled immediately & he wasnt worth it :no2:

 

This is a fantastic build thread. Top work mate.

 

My mates old man has been trying to sell me a woody hull for years, much smaller than that beast, and it's only a clinker deck, not the full hull. 17 foot, I'd love to drop a flathead in it and do a bit of wakeskatin behind it!

 

Cheers man! :y: Had spotted another boat thread here & thought to throw something different in the mix. It was a lot of fun going "back to school" (ironic as I dropped out of high school) & actually making something, well sorta useful. One fellow lined his with 2 part exapnding foam, shaved it flat, put plywood over it & turned his into a mobile esky :cool: He was into rowing, so he had no interest in boats that you face forward in.

 

Beware the old wooden hulls that may or may not have been looked after as needed. I've seen more than one end up more trouble than it was worth!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.