4Kc Starting Problems

alrighty so i have a 1984 ke70 and in the past week she has been playing up. they symptoms go like this

doesnt crank at all and if it tries its really slow

stalls under 1500rpm

wont run with choke all the way in but will idle at 3,500rpm when warmed up but as soon as i put the choke back in as soon as the revs drop below 1500 it will stall

even have problems clutch starting sometimes. feels like it also maybe missfiring or running on 3 cylinders? not 100% on that one.. just doesnt seem to run as smoothly when accelerating..

I'm a first year mechanic for toyota so don't work with these old engines at all so not sure about carby problems etc..

will be testing my alternator with a multimeter on monday afternoon to test voltage apparently if its too much below or higher then 14.2 volts then its probably my alternator..

i have an nrma battery with little window on it to tell you if the battery is screwed etc? green means the battery is charged and the little window is green, But car still wont start which either means the battery is lying or my starter is dodgy?

any help would be great

Members dont see this ad

hows your coolant? any signs of the level dropping? any overheading issues?

i had a dead alternator recently, it took a few days or so to flattern the battery (charging at 11.8v) didnt experience anything similar to you.

Those symtoms remind me of my blown head gasket a few years back. Would hardly turn over, wouldnt idle and i had to rev the crap out of it to keep it alive.

Could Also be a flooded fuel bowl, check that the float closes off the fuel inlet just before horizontal by blowing into the inlet and raising the bowl by hand untill you can no longer blow through. Although the sluggish turning over does seem a bit odd, check the starter motor connections. If not that check your coolant for oil and check the oil for coolant.

i don't see how any of those symptoms specifically point to a blown headgasket.

if the ignition timing is too far advanced it will be a pain in the ass to start.

one way to check is to unplug your main high voltage wire from coil to dizzy, and turn it over. if it turns over heaps faster you know it is a timing issue.

if the ignition timing has been advanced in order to keep it running, the carby might be playing up in the idle circuit. give it a good clean and set your timing properly.

once it is running, then worry about your alternator/charging system. a dodgy alternator wont stop it from idling properly. just wont let it idle forever.

sounds to me like it just needs a general tune up, clean out the carby, set ign timing, set points, check the resistance in the leads.