4Ag Camshafts

Looking for some cams around the 264 - 270 deg duration that can run with stock ecu and valvetrain.

Has anyone had experience with Wade, Crower or Tomei cams? don't want to go HKS as they are stupid expensive and same with TODA and a few other brands i looked at.

Had a good offer on a pair of Tomei poncams and am pretty keen to grab those but was wondering if anyone has experience with Wade cams from Aus or the crower cams (not brian crower).

Members dont see this ad

I have 268 wade cams which run fine with standard ECU. At the time Wades claimed these were developed in conjunction with Toyota.

They produced these on new blanks. Call them re pricing, I got mine years ago.

But if it is a road car, I would suggest 256/264 as 268/268 is too peaky in my view.

yeah the car isnt exactly my daily so peaky is probably what i'm after. I do have the price on wade's and same with the tomei. never heard of clives. not so much interested in the price but more just what will be a really good performance cam out of those mentioned.

i heard the tomei were designed and prototyped with a 4ag on a dyno so i guess they must be very well set up just wondering if anyone else has tried them at all

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been able to find out, the standard ecu is fine for cams less than 272? Any cams that or higher would require an aftermarket computer? Which you'd want anyway as it would let you extract the best from the *insert amount of dollars here* you just spent on cams :)

Supposedly about 270 degree duration is meant to be the limit for a standard ECU. Again that was a discussion I had with Wade when I originally ordered my 268's. At the time (years ago) that was the mildest 4AGE cam they did. Don't know if it has changed.

From memory, the cams were about $450 on new blanks which isn't a lot when you think what else we spend money on modifying. But then of course you need to factor in headwork, adjustable cam gears etc etc. And these only had about 8mm lift so no mucking about with followers etc. I was able to set them up also, so no paying anyone plus I had a free supply of lash pads.

They certainly change the engine characteristics and are still very driveable with a standard ECU. But no doubt they would be even better with the ability to keep them on cam, and optimised fuelling and advance curves which the standard ECU cannot give.

It gets down to what you want out of the car I suppose, and as it is, it is a lot of fun. But certainly it would have a lot more potential with optimal management.

I just want to liven it up a bit around the higher rpm range. I have been doing a lot of snooping around on club4ag and all over the joint really and i think eventually i'll buy a MS2 kit for a bit of fun, i like building kits like that and it'd probably be good experience for my elec eng units at uni.

but yes i want to power the engine up a bit, just give it a bit better torque and higher rev power but retain a bit of friendliness when doing the daily drive.

The Wade cam I was recommended to use by the company was this one:

CamLift Duration Duration Valve Valve V/Lift Phase

Adv 0.04 Clr Lift tdc <)

intake 349 277 224 0.01 0.339 060 110

Exhaust 349 277 224 0.01 0.339 038

Now i'm still learning the basics about cams so I understand what most of these measurements represent but I don't quite understand how I could judge what is the more superior cam. Which is basically why I am asking what experiences people have had with Wade cams.

Hearing amazing things about the Tomei's though and it's a 'plug and play' in the way that it is set up to be optimal using the stock cam gears and stock cam timing marks. I think I might go for the Tomei's just from the reviews I got depending on when this bloke emails me back.

Supposedly about 270 degree duration is meant to be the limit for a standard ECU. Again that was a discussion I had with Wade when I originally ordered my 268's. At the time (years ago) that was the mildest 4AGE cam they did. Don't know if it has changed.

From memory, the cams were about $450 on new blanks which isn't a lot when you think what else we spend money on modifying. But then of course you need to factor in headwork, adjustable cam gears etc etc. And these only had about 8mm lift so no mucking about with followers etc. I was able to set them up also, so no paying anyone plus I had a free supply of lash pads.

Wow, that's cheap! Okay it was a few years ago but still good! :yes: Good score.

Smart little bugger... :happy:

Hearing amazing things about the Tomei's though and it's a 'plug and play' in the way that it is set up to be optimal using the stock cam gears and stock cam timing marks. I think I might go for the Tomei's just from the reviews I got depending on when this bloke emails me back.

From what I've been able to tell, Tomei do actually test their products thoroughly & can back up their claims with actual data. You do pay for this in their prices, but with proven results it's a difficult arguement.

I personally would go the route of getting some less pricey cams plus some adjustable cam gears, probably equals around the same price but that just could be because I'm very budget-concious sometimes :wink:

Yeah, Tomei's prices have dropped significantly too. prices are about $540 US a pair now or here in Aus they go for $800 a pair. with prices like that I couldn't say no, will tell you guys how it goes when I get them in.

those Wade's are about 650 a pair now i think as well.