Ae86 4Age Conversion

Catdaddy

Sup guys, relatively new member here.

So like, its about 6 months until i get my P's and i am strongly considering buying an '86. The only thing that is bothering me, is if i get one, I'd want to do a 4age conversion. Now i have researched about the swap and have heard it's not that hard, but i'm just wondering if someone can give me an overview about the swap, and how much hassle it really is. Also, can someone let me know how hard the fuel pump is to do? I've heard you can use one from a VL commodore, with slight modifications, true? Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Members dont see this ad

Welcome to the forums.

I'm sure you will get your initiation of flaming quite shortly.

Couple of tips (say this to everyone considering a conversion), once you work out how much you think it will cost, double it, then add 50% :laff:

Nextly, being on your Ps you probably can't legally do an engine conversion (even just a 4AGE in a AE86, as it wasn't a factory available option here), I'm not a professional though, so don't take my word on that (you'll need to see what your local road authority says).

The 86s are a fun car, though usually overpriced for a stock one. You can save a lot by buying a modified one, but then it is almost certainly not legal (especially for a P plater).

One thing I can tell you though is that (while the 4AC in them is pretty shit), it's still not too bad for the car. When I first got my old 86 it actually drove ok with the 4ac (and was leaking oil and had done over 550,000 kms).

I wouldn't start modifying your first car as soon as you get your Ps, get used to drive on the road (there's a lot of dickheads out there), then once you are ready (and need it) consider an engine change, modifications etc.

Conversion is not as simple as many people like to make out, and vast majority of wiring jobs I have seen are simply shithouse. There are three looms to merge. Most people try and splice just the engine loom (usually a front wheel drive one) into the rear wheel drive dash and charge/lights loom. There are vast numbers of threads where people then complain that their car doesn't start/idle/run well. Then they end up in the for sale section where the next owner tries to work out why the car doesn't run well, and what exactly the mess of wires is.

Seriously, these are an ECU controlled car, and to run properly, the ECU needs all the inputs. To do this it needs to be setup completely and properly.

Fuel setup is not hard and there are a billion threads all over the place regarding the latest fad.

To do it properly, you really need to source a front cut, but they are rarely available now. Otherwise find out about ALL the parts you need, and start looking on yahoo Japan for a complete loom (not expensive). The sensors you will need can come off an AE82 twin cam.

Be aware anything you buy in Australia will cost 2 - 3 times what it should be. Very few mechanical parts from an ADM car carry over.

• Upvote 1

if you are on your P's i don't think you will have much luck "legally" driving a converted vehicle, unless you A: Don't mod plate it and watch how fast your insurance company gets out of any claims you make, not to mention CTP if you accidently hit someone, you could literally get suied for millions, or B put a 4age in on carbs instead of EFI, then you can go to the transport office and apply to change the engine number from 4axxx to 4axxx, which I have herd works in some states and not others.