Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dummys Guide: Building A Boost Happy 5K

Featured Replies

Hey,

Looking to build a boost happy 5k, want it to last with around the 20psi mark

I keep reading about 4k head on 5k to lower comp but i want real answers.

 

I believe i have the d dish block but have been told to use precision hypatec pistons (i called and got a price but there are two types apparently) anyone know what part number i need to keep low comp?

 

ALSO, when fitting the 4k head what is the easiest and most affordable way of the rocker gear to match? what is needed etc. and what to do?

what else would be recommended to do to the motor? its goin in my ke10 so all help would be good (especially if you have done it)

 

its not going to be a race car or get thrashed daily, but i would like it to handle some abuse on the odd occasion. and I'm thinking of the most affordable way to make it handle some fun..

 

what other issues am i going to hit with the 5k + 4k head going into ke10

 

Please help me make a dummys guide for people like me, becuase i have read a LOT of info on here about it... But none really has helped me...

 

and yes, i know its been covered before but i can get the simple answers I'm looking for....

 

 

cheers

  • Author

so i copied this from another post "If your running a dished piston 5k with hydraulic lifters you'll need a 4k cam or your current one reground, a 4k-c head, adjustable rocker gear, the holden 202 red motor lifters and the A12 pushrods" (is this all? will it all just "bolt together?")

Dude i'm building the same thing.

 

I've got a 5K D dish bottom end and got a flat top 4kc head.

 

Going to run the a12 pushrods and holden solid lifters.

 

32/36 with a T2 series silvia turbo and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

 

You'll need a J pipe exhaust manifold i reakon as there's stuff all clearance in a ke10

Yes... yes it will. ;)

 

Block and head wise that's really all you'll have to do. Standard bottom end should be good enough. It's up to you if you spend the coin on the atfermarket pistons, but there not really cheap. ARP head bolts you'll need to keep the head on. Realistically to run 20 psi through a 5k and have it last more than a month you won't get out of it overly cheap.

Edited by GJM85

  • Author

Can anyone confirm if Holden starfire lifters are the same? I mean they're the same motor minus 2 cylinder/? If they are i can get some for free from my mates old sunbird motor

Can anyone confirm if Holden starfire lifters are the same? I mean they're the same motor minus 2 cylinder/? If they are i can get some for free from my mates old sunbird motor

 

I can't find a great deal of information but according to wiki the 1.9L Starfire is the 173ci grey motor minus 2 cylinders. I then found this on the 202 anti-pump up lifters. They suit Holden 6 202 3.3 & 173 2.85 litre, Red Blue & Black motors including 3.3 EFI Black motors.

 

I then found that there are 2 types of 202 lifters and both are hydraulic. One is an anti-pump lifter which gives a which gives better oil metering and prevents valve float at higher rpm and also requires adjustable rocker gear. Effictively a solid lifter but not.

 

Then I found this....

Toyota Australia manufactured sedans and wagons using 1.9 L Holden Starfire engines, badged in Toyota engine terminology as the 1X, coupled with a 4 speed or optional 5 speed Borg-Warner 505.Toyota Corona

 

I don't think the starfire lifters will work though, you will need to consult a shop and find out part numbers and compare lifter bores.

  • Author

So what lifters are the ones I need?? Getting more confused now... but cheers

well I used the anti pump lifters/solids. I wouldn't count on the starfire lifter being of any use.

  • Author

No worries. Will start looking for the bits...

  • Author

Anyone know the length if the a12 pushrods? My father in law said he thought escort 1300 rods were the same.. if this is true I have some .. hmm

Anyone know the length if the a12 pushrods? My father in law said he thought escort 1300 rods were the same.. if this is true I have some .. hmm

 

152mm

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

can a 3k head be used on 5k with 202 lifters and a12 rods? if so whats got a better comp ratio? 4k or 3k head?

can a 3k head be used on 5k with 202 lifters and a12 rods? if so whats got a better comp ratio? 4k or 3k head?

 

I believe they use 3k heads with 3k pushrods and gutted 5k hydraulic lifters... ask Philby or Felix. I think that's the combo they used.

  • Author

On just curious to know what head i need .. because if its too low compression then there will be no power until boost..

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.