Leaking Ae92

Hi there, Pick up a ae92 for $300 with original 143,000km on the clock. Ive had it for a few weeks now and i have plans on re-spraying it. Dings and dents have been fixed and I have gutted the entire car out...interior, plastic panels and carpet. The car has been outdoors and just with the on and off rain for the past 2 days I have noticed that both passenger and driver sides on the floor pans there is about half a cup to a cup of water sitting there.

Has this ever happened to anyone or know where its coming from? If so how do I go about fixing it?

Members dont see this ad

It's hard to say without realy being there, but....

I had an ae92 seca. And my driveway is short and steep. Whenever parked there and it rained, the water would run down the windscreen disappear under the plastic vent thing where the wipers are and magically appear in the drivers side foot well. It turned out to be a shit windscreen installation job because once I had it replaced it didn't leak again.

When new windscreens are installed your not supposed to move the vehicle for 6-12 hours or something.

Edited by GJM85

It's hard to say without realy being there, but....

I had an ae92 seca. And my driveway is short and steep. Whenever parked there and it rained, the water would run down the windscreen disappear under the plastic vent thing where the wipers are and magically appear in the drivers side foot well. It turned out to be a shit windscreen installation job because once I had it replaced it didn't leak again.

When new windscreens are installed your not supposed to move the vehicle for 6-12 hours or something.

Thanks for the tip. I actually have a crank in the windscreen but the water doesn't come through that, must be a dodgy seal on it. It will need to be replaced anyways to get blue slipped.

I actually got in it today and searched today and it seems like it was dripping on the drivers side somewhere above the fuses on the kick panel....this part is puzzling me.

Was it dripping ruffle around that area?

Plus the drain holes in the doors and the drain channel on the pillars above the door blocked so cleared them out with some wire.

What's the air-intake grill arrangement under the windscreen??

They draw air in there for the vent system, but that bathtub must drain somewhere and the Datsuns used to take a rubber tube in the car and out again. Old rubber tube gets cracked and leaks onto the floor. Hopefully they have better ideas now.

I have a similar problem with my AE92 Seca, where I discovered dampness in the front passenger side 2 days ago. I was rather busy and at the time didn't think it would be a major problem, the following day I discovered a substantial puddle, at the front, with the rear passenger side also now wet. It has been raining quite a lot these last few days so I'm guessing it's the rain, especially with that kind of water. Upon some research it's possible that it could be rainwater seeping in through the A/C line somehow.

Other issues are I've had my rear de-misters on quite a bit along with the a/c on full heat going up to the winscreen because of all the clouding up I had in the car, not sure if that also collaborated in the mess. I'm getting mine checked out at O'Brien's on Monday, until then it's in the garage drying out...hopefully this will be solved on Monday if it's a windscreen seal problem.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I figured with both our problems happening in a similar car at the same time, might help us both with any info. Did you check if the sloped part of the floorwells were wet? That is to say the slope under the dash? Mine weren't, and I can't figure out where the water is routing in from.

I have a similar problem with my AE92 Seca, where I discovered dampness in the front passenger side 2 days ago. I was rather busy and at the time didn't think it would be a major problem, the following day I discovered a substantial puddle, at the front, with the rear passenger side also now wet. It has been raining quite a lot these last few days so I'm guessing it's the rain, especially with that kind of water. Upon some research it's possible that it could be rainwater seeping in through the A/C line somehow.

Other issues are I've had my rear de-misters on quite a bit along with the a/c on full heat going up to the winscreen because of all the clouding up I had in the car, not sure if that also collaborated in the mess. I'm getting mine checked out at O'Brien's on Monday, until then it's in the garage drying out...hopefully this will be solved on Monday if it's a windscreen seal problem.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I figured with both our problems happening in a similar car at the same time, might help us both with any info. Did you check if the sloped part of the floorwells were wet? That is to say the slope under the dash? Mine weren't, and I can't figure out where the water is routing in from.

Thats all good about the hi jacking...lol if it can both help up out why not. It will be good to know what O'Brien says if its coming from the front windscreen.

Yes the floor-well were it slops under the dash is wet but only on the driver side.

The leak has stopped on the passenger side because i cleared out the channel on the door that drips down to the guard. It was packed with dirt and crap on the top and the bottom but in the center was an ants nest!!

post-10479-0-93213200-1311250702_thumb.jpg

Took the plastic off and heaps of ants scattered everywhere, so that was a surprise.

Also check the bottom of your door on the far right there is a drain hole just check if that's blocked as well, because mine was.

Let us know what O'Brian say.

Thanks for the tips on the door, I will definitely check it out. Though I'm fairly certain it's not leaking from there because when I was removing the carpeting I noticed that all the tops of the slopes were clean dry at the door area, so if it was coming from the door it would have to make the slopes wet and then drip down, so this seems to be directly entering the floor-well, but I will check it now just to be sure.

This is not the first time I've heard of insects living in unlikely places in the car, what are they eating from the car ?? :blinks: - I will definitely let you know what happens at O'Brien's

Well I went in today, there was no major rust as I thought there would be. The top of the windshield housing was rusted, but it didn't appear wet. However, he pointed out that the original seal wasn't applied properly in some way and that there was no confirmity with the seal sticking to the glass around the entire screen, some parts were hard to remove because it had stuck well and other parts came out too easily and he said that's possibly allowed water to seep in through heavy rains as what we had.

Then he put some O'Brien's sealant or whatever they use and guaranteed that the water will definitely not seep in through the windshield if that's the way it originally came in, couldn't establish the method of water entry. I guess I'll find out when the next heavy rains come in, I certainly hope not though. :glare:

With your SECA, was it the original windscreen with the initial factory installation job, or had someone changed the windscreen later on before you got it?

Original screen or not they were poor to begin with with 99% of ae92s produced. My windscreen

dosent leak but the plastic trims which is supposed to assist with the sealing are just rubbish. They weather, buckle and lose their adhesion properties which allows dust, water moisture and grime to enter and the worst thing - rust. (Thankfully only two small spots).

Soon the rust will get cut out and welded as the car is in dire need of a new windscreen anyway. I know its a little off topic, but the majority of windcreen blokes I spoke to in Melb say after replacing the windscreen they use a generic rubber seal as used on the commodores for a better seal. I have seen this and believe Toyota shouldve used this method instead of the rubbish they used instead.

I'm sure you'll pin point the leak and am interested in the outcome :y:

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Well I went in today, there was no major rust as I thought there would be. The top of the windshield housing was rusted, but it didn't appear wet. However, he pointed out that the original seal wasn't applied properly in some way and that there was no confirmity with the seal sticking to the glass around the entire screen, some parts were hard to remove because it had stuck well and other parts came out too easily and he said that's possibly allowed water to seep in through heavy rains as what we had.

Then he put some O'Brien's sealant or whatever they use and guaranteed that the water will definitely not seep in through the windshield if that's the way it originally came in, couldn't establish the method of water entry. I guess I'll find out when the next heavy rains come in, I certainly hope not though. :glare:

Sounds promising that its only the dodgy seals that Toyota put in the original windscreens. So I will be needing a new windscreen anyways to pass blue slip.

Took the trim around the windscreen today and there was another ants nest on top strip and the ones on either side of the windscreen had dirt and crap in it. I can definitely tell that the seal wasn't good when scraping the dirt out some points there was just a small mount of rubber seal and not thick in other places in the windscreen.

Luckily the top of the windshield has no rust holes, just a little bit of surface rust.

Just wondering how much was the whole thing through O'Brien?

• Upvote 1