Ae92 Coolant Flush

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and also new to Corolla's. I recently purchased an AE92 Corolla, opened up the radiator cap and to my avail, it was brown and watery, not green like coolant at all!!!

I changed the coolant, flushed it with water but i am regretting not using a commercial additive to flush it out.

Summer is a few months away and i do not want my car to overheat, So my question to you all is, should i have used a commercial additive ? If so, what would you recommend? and, would it be worth changing my thermostat? again, if it is, could someone please explain how to do this?

Specs of the car is; 1991 AE92 Corolla SE - 4AFC (Carburetor engine).

Edited by kingtube69

Members dont see this ad

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and also new to Corolla's. I recently purchased an AE92 Corolla, opened up the radiator cap and to my avail, it was brown and watery, not green like coolant at all!!!

I changed the coolant, flushed it with water but i am regretting not using a commercial additive to flush it out.

Summer is a few months away and i do not want my car to overheat, So my question to you all is, should i have used a commercial additive ? If so, what would you recommend? and, would it be worth changing my thermostat? again, if it is, could someone please explain how to do this?

Specs of the car is; 1991 AE92 Corolla SE - 4AFC (Carburetor engine).

Just go to a car parts place and get standard coolant which has a rust inhibitor. You can get it for under $20. I wouldn't bother changing the thermo if the one in there is working fine. I would recommend reverse flushing the system before you put coolant in.

HOW TO REVERSE FLUSH.

I can't help with how to change it if you want to anyway but this I found on a google search.

1.) Locate the distributor box.. its the box with wires attached to engine with cables that terminate into a box.

2.) Under that box you will see a bunch of bolts... Two of those bolts are attached to a smaller housing ... Thats the thermostat housing.

Hint. Remove the air filter box to make an easier workspace.

Edited by blzbub666

• 2 weeks later...

Also in all toyota's esp the sporty ones, you should be running Toyota red coolant, not only to preserve the motor, but cause its really good coolant.

my 4AGE rarely gets above half on the temp gauge even in super hot, humid conditions.

Also remember to bleed any air out when u change the coolant.