4G63T In Ke55

KE55EVO

hey guys i am half way though buildin this car just wondering if any one has done a steering box to steering rack conversion now havin the 4G63t mounted in the car i am thinkin i might have a tad more room with a steerin rack instead of the standard steering box i was thinkin something along the lines of a KE70 front end etc.Just some extra room for turbo an dump pipe i have the room now but it is tight any info would be great cheers Matt

I will have some pics of the conversion soon

Members dont see this ad

Matt any particular reason you are wanting to change the steering by chance?

I know you have said space, but the 55 steering box when fixed (if loose) still works well and with 7" wide rims and coilovers

and with a 20G Turbo that will work fine, you can always make an engine plate and lug it to the chassis rails and move it forward

Otherwise flick Jordan a pm in the engine conversion thread about some info

Nisrola, I understand you have put a lot of money into your car, and your opinion is that the steering box does not let it down? I was just thinking about the steering box issue today. There are a lot of people on here that have made ke30's handle well but none go into detail about the steering box. What's the go? I know they can be loose etc, but I see the big issue as the gearing in them (too many turns to get lock)

cheers for your thoughts.

Hey Mitchell,

Your query can be a very grey area as some cars have great steering boxes and some need to be regeared,

as mentioned with coil overs and going into corners can soak up alot of the load and not make the steering wheel hard to fight against, and with the rebound is quite easy to steer, nolathane bushes are a great investment also

I will say that there is slight movement in mine left or right before you can turn the wheel, and thats just the way it will be, unless you change, which seems to be the query here, hence why i asked the reason for the application of the car

In saying that tho, i have full welded in cage, and the car is very stiff and very responsive, but have not put it to work on a track, so my judgement is based on street duties, i drive my mates Mk1 Cortina, stock as the day she rolled out of Ford in 1964 and its just as heavy as a kingswood with 165's all round,

and perhaps i have gotten use to it after a while, and going to the gym might help also, haha

hey guys thanks for the info but the reason i was thinkin about changing it was just for room as i am running a big turbo on the 4g63 an it is gonna be tight for the turbo an steering box an dump pipe but i guess we can play with it an go from there.

And the gearbox i am using 2.7lt w/series 5 speed steel plated one

cheers Matt

havin the 4G63t mounted in the car i am thinkin i might have a tad more room with a steerin rack instead of the standard steering box. some extra room for turbo an dump pipe i have the room now but it is tight any info would be great cheers Matt

Hey there,

I sure I have read somewhere that the 4G63T at some stage changed there head ports from one side to the other. ie if the exhaust ports like you motor are on the driver’s side now (whatever year/model) either earlier or later models have them on the passenger side.

I think that is what I have read somewhere so by swapping the head over may help.

All the best on your engine conversion.

The above is correct also yes,

The CP9A and CT9A chassis had the cam cover facing the driver side whereas the earlier models was passenger side

W58 box will hold the power, but don't go past a 20G turbo, and opting for the big boy GT30/35, as the exhaust flow are great on these engines

Also the stock ECU is great and has alot of tunning capabilites and atm the a great price and worthy investment

www.evoscan.com

so what are you saying not to use the gt30/35 an use the other one iwas planin on using the gt30 as i want some serious power in the the ke55. There is nothin stock about my engine its a fully custom built 4g63 running a aftermarket ecu,plenum etc i plan to make big power with it

If that is your goal, sounds like you have been guided in the right direction and have the right idea,

If you go that big how much of it will get to the ground? a few of the stroked EVO's run the 20G but they are track cars, and make strong power all through the rev range, and run some quick times

Put some pics in the ride thread

• 7 months later...

Any news on this ride?

I have owned several Galant VR-4's and evos. Nisrolla is correct in saying a 20G would be enough for such a light car. I had a custom 16G made had a larger comp housing and ran the Evo 070 exhaust side... Larger compressor wheel... i made 230AWKW with supporting mods on low boost 16psi... the 20G's are mostly rated for about 22-24PSI and would handle 250+KW.

The best thing about those turbos are that they bolt straight to the standard exhaust manifold.

Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers

Grant