Help With 5K And 4K Parts For Ke70, What To Use

kerola

OK, so I picked up a donor KE70 for a manual conversion for my KE70 because i got sick of skidding with a slipping sludgebox.

I found that the donor has a stock 5K in it.

I also have a KE20 with 4K that i bought 2 yrs ago that has:

32/36 webber + adaptor

Larger reground cam (unsure what size until i take it out)

and extractors that are sitting in the boot

I am just wondering:

1. can I use the carbie, cam and extractors on the 5K?

2. If not, is it worth putting the stock 5K in or putting all the stuff into good 4K?

3. I might do some basic headwork, wich head would be best to use? and what would be best compression?

I want to do a 4AGE conversion later, buat with building an R31 track car i just want to get the KE70 back on the road

Also when i put the 4AGE in the KE70 i will be putting the worked K series into the KE20.

Thanks

Edited by kerola

Members dont see this ad

take the 4k block down to a machinist with a 5k piston. ask him how much is it gonna cost to resleeve the 4k block to take the 5k pistons.

then you got a 1500cc 4k :P

use a 5k head/pistons 4k crank and 4k pistons

well the KE20 isn't on the road and know where near atm

I just want to know what the best option is for the KE70 atm and ill work around it later

Interesting haha

but wasn't really looking at rebuilding or opening it up to much.

just seeing what the cheapest/best option is with the parts i have here just to make driving it a bit more fun in the wet

Just put the stock 5k in it. You're intentions don't seem too responsible, so keep it simple. No need to invest time and money in something you'll probably drift into a tree or maybe even some unsuspecting nanna on her way home from the fruit market....

You can bolt the gear onto the 5K easy enough., but the cam will be ground for solid lifters and the 5K should have hydraulics. You will need a different grind on the lifter base.

If you want to swap heads you'll need to know which 5K you have as they have bowl-in-piston ('D' dish) with a tiny combustion chamber in the head, or 'O' dish (shallow dish) pistons with a larger chamber in the head. A compression around 10:1 I would reckon, I don't think the 4K head will suit the D dish for sure, but you would get that with O dish pistons and a 4K head .

Evan's idea is good, if the 5K pistons are good just machine them into the 4K and get the best of both worlds.

LOL!!! but children walking out of school get you more points.

interesting, but if i can't use the cam i have i'm not buying a new one ATM.

Wasnt really looking to rebuild the motor yet, but worth a look in the future

i guess ill just throw the carb and extractors on it and see how we go.

Thanks