Ke70 Tacho Dash Not Workin With 6 Cylinder

KE70+AE92

hey all

I'm half way throught my commodore v6 t5 conversion in a ke70 and I'm havin problems with the tacho dash

i purchesed this cluster last week and installed it today.

i wanted to keep the same cluster for the conversion, ive got all the alt and oil lights and temperture gauge working so far but the tacho has left me stumped

i no ive wired it up correctly but the needle on the tacho wont budge. i no its got a different signal to the original 4 cylinder but atleast the needle should move but be out

ive tryed adjusting the trimpot on the back of the gauge but no luck.

i did test the gauge by using a 12v charger and it did work

I'm so confused why it wont work

if anyone has some suggestions let us no they will be greatly appreciated

Members dont see this ad

Hi, I have actually had the same little drama with my vx powered pajero, hooked the feed from the ecu to the tacho but it has never worked. I have not been bothered to look into it, just figured it must use a different signal or something.

but just so you know youre not alone.

i had the same issue when i did the 7mgte conversion in my bundera

basically the tacho in the ke70 is set up for high voltage/output pulse signal, coming directly from the coil

the tacho signal coming from the v6 comes from the ecu, is lower voltage/output which means the signal isn't powerful enough to be read by your tacho

there is a way around it, there is a resister inside the tacho that has quite high resistance, you need to replace this with a lower resistance one, the resister is not hard to find, its the first one in the board coming from the signal wire

i can't remember the ohms of the resister i put in, ill see if i can dig up the info

theres also the issue of the tacho will be reading wrong, it will be getting 3 pulses for every rpm now instead of two, this means the rpms will read higher than actually are

this can be fixed by putting a potentiometer between the two wires that come out of the board to the needle, the +ve and -ve, you will then be able to adjust it to give the right reading

i hope this has made sense, ill try dig up the link, it has pics and stuff, it was for a hilux but should be similar

paul

i had the same issue when i did the 7mgte conversion in my bundera

basically the tacho in the ke70 is set up for high voltage/output pulse signal, coming directly from the coil

the tacho signal coming from the v6 comes from the ecu, is lower voltage/output which means the signal isn't powerful enough to be read by your tacho

there is a way around it, there is a resister inside the tacho that has quite high resistance, you need to replace this with a lower resistance one, the resister is not hard to find, its the first one in the board coming from the signal wire

i can't remember the ohms of the resister i put in, ill see if i can dig up the info

theres also the issue of the tacho will be reading wrong, it will be getting 3 pulses for every rpm now instead of two, this means the rpms will read higher than actually are

this can be fixed by putting a potentiometer between the two wires that come out of the board to the needle, the +ve and -ve, you will then be able to adjust it to give the right reading

i hope this has made sense, ill try dig up the link, it has pics and stuff, it was for a hilux but should be similar

paul

that helps alot thankyou

ill have a look at the size of the resistor and see what i can replace it with

with the incorrect signal, ino when i had the 12v charger connected to the tacho to test the original trimpot could change the reading a whole 2000rpm but may not be enought

took me a while but found it, obviously not going to be exactly the same as the ke70, but will give you enough to go off

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/tachmod.htm

paul

edit, maybe thats not it, but found another site that said the new resister should be around 10k ohms

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/1Thsalvermo/Truck%20pics/Tach-fix-resistor-installed.jpg

Edited by pozman