Ke70 Help

Arnotjie

Hey there.

I'm in the process of doing a suspension upgrade on my Ke70. I was planning on converting to ae86 struts with custom coilovers, however, I'm having a lot of trouble finding some of the components in Brisbane. Specifically Hubs and a brake setup in good condition. I check the forum, ebay and boostcruising daily, and thus far I've been unable to find any.

What would be some other suspension setups I could consider that are easier to source parts for. How about an S13 conversion? I have heard that it messes up the handling of the Ke70, but I would like to hear some opinions from someone who has done it. I know an Ae86 setup would be better, but how is the handling compared to stock Ke70 suspension? And what are the pro's and cons to this conversion compared to others.

Thanks

PS. I have done a search on google, and on this forum, but I just keep getting posts telling the poster to do a search haha.

Members dont see this ad

Thanks a lot Dave, The info is really appreciated. I will go for an ae86 setup then, and just run stock suspension till I have everything I need. I'm going to start reading up on suspension geometry today, and I also want to download optimum K. I'm guessing you are just using the trial version? I really can't afford to pay 1000+ for software as a private user.

One quick question.

If I look at images of standard ae86 struts, There is a part attached to it that the hubs fit on to (I'm not sure what to call it, a spindle maybe?) This picture shows what I am talking about. Struts

Well, the picture on the ebay listing of the coilovers I'm interested in, does not show that part. ...ebay... I'm assuming that it is either the wrong picture (as they make coilovers for a lot of cars), or there is a way of attaching them afterwards?

Is that right? or would I have to buy this part (spindle?) aftermarket?

Thanks

Thanks Altezzaclub.

I've read 'stub axles' in so many posts now I finally know what it means. The ebay ones are for an Ae86 (I think they just use the same picture for all their listings) as well, which is RWD right? and the same seller makes coilovers for silvias, Skylines, supras etc. If the stub axles aren't interchangeable, but they make direct bolt in coilovers for an Ae86, I'm guessing it should come with stub axles fitted. I'll just give them a call this week and find out.

However, The sleeves might be a more economical option, with near to the same results right? If I buy sleeves, I still need to find matching shock absorbers though. But I will be looking in to it.

I found some corona xt130 struts for sale, fitted with slotted Ae86 rotors, Are they a good option, or is it worth waiting for an ae86 setup?

hey dude,

yeah pretty much the ae86 front end is exactly the same as ke70 front end, just with a few (but important) variations in dimensions.

yeah the strut (that the shock sits in) has the stub axel attached at the bottom, and your hub sits on this. also the caliper brackets bolt to this.

that ebay link looks a little dodgy, looks like he is just offering his services to build coilvoers for any of those cars, those coilvoers in the pic look like ae92 possibly, def not ae86.

that photo of the red shock/spring coilover thing that altezza posted, thats what you want to achieve. that has an extra bit on it, that bracket that goes from the tube to the stub axel, dunno how much good that would do, but hey might as well weld it on if you got spare steel.

ae86 coilovers looks pretty much like a standard strut, with the spring seat cut off, and the thread thing welded on the outside...cuase that is what they generally are!

sleeves are the way to go (if you feel you absoluately need height adjustment), if you can weld, or just find someone who is selling a pair of them, with say stuffed shocks (i got mine like this for $250!) bought some new shocks, and were good as new.

any more Q's don't hesitate to ask!

Edited by ke70dave

Consider your engineering options with coil-overs and sleeves. Find out if you need to have adjustable-height suspension engineered, then what it will cost to heve that done. Nearly everyone buys flash coilovers to get the adjustable height, then sets them and never moves them.

The option is a shorter spring on the XT Corona or AE86 strut. The adjustable camber at the top is a great option to chase too.

Thanks for all the replies guys. It has really helped me a lot.

After thinking about it, I would probably only set my height once and forget about it, so adjust-ability is probably not such a big deal. I just always thought that you would have to spend a lot on some good gear (which usually includes adjust-ability) to get good suspension. But I'm starting to see that it has a lot more to do with the actual setup than the parts itself (as with most things, haha).

I want to improve the handling first and foremost - but it is a daily so I don't want it to shake the fillings out my teeth, and then I want lower the car as well (i'll change the RCA's etc accordingly to keep the geometry in check). I would like to hear what spring and shock options you guys would suggest: such as what spring rates to use, length of the spring, some good short stroke shocks to keep it captive etc. Any other important specs I am missing.

Also, I have been looking around, and it seems like xt130 parts are easier to come by that ae86 parts. Is an xt130 strut and LCA upgrade worth it, or should I try and find Ae86 ones instead? What are the differences?

Thank you