Led Turn Signal/Park Lamps

sharpshane

So I bought some amber LED strips slapped them to a piece of anodized aluminum and was going to mount them on my grille. Just to make sure I hooked them up and they don't work. They work with only the turn signals but I can't get them to work with the turn signals and the park lamps on. I saw some other forums about putting diodes and resitors in but I am kinda lost on this one. Any help out there? I will post vid and pics when I'm done!

Members dont see this ad

I don't get it, are you trying to use the replace the indicators with the LEDs strips? If so, Reed is right. You can also buy flasher cans to suit LED indicators, they are pretty common on motorbikes and should solve the problem, and will save you the hassle of trying to figure out what resistor to use.

Edited by rianwest

http://www.customautoelectrics.com.au/page_50.html

Are you replacing your indicators with LEDs? Or just adding in and extra pair of indicators which are LED?

I don't understand electrics too well, but couldn't you run the LEDs in parallel to the standard indicators, and have 2 flashers: one for the standard indicators and one for the LEDs? That is if you are just adding an extra LED pair of indicators and not just replacing the standard indicaotrs with LEDS.

• 3 weeks later...

you will need to add a resistor in series with the LEDs to bring the resistance up to the same as the globe you replaced.

remember:

V=IR (ohm's law)

P=VI (can't remember who's law :hmm: )

indicator is 21W at 12V

P=VI

21=12I

I=1.75 Amps

resistance must be

V=IR

12=1.75R

R=6.857 Ohms

so the resistance of the LEDs and resistor combined, because you will run them in series, must equal close to this

if anyone sees a mistake feel free to correct me, and i know it could have been done in one step but it helps to step it out :P

hope this helps

Matt

• Upvote 1