December 14, 201114 yr comment_571525 Hey there. I've been trying to build my own custom electronic ignition, but it's not working out how I'd planned. I want to get her running for the GOR. So, I'm after a How - To 4k to 4age on carby distributor setup. I have the parts, just need to know exactly what the set up is. I need to know how the distributor is put together. I remember seeing it somewhere when I first started the build but can't seem to find it again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys. EDIT: for clarification. Edited December 14, 201114 yr by bAKER Report
December 19, 201114 yr comment_572473 All I have from using a 4ac dizzy in my 4age: http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/14788-trevs-ae71-panelvan-na-bigport/page__view__findpost__p__248531 Seriously tho, you should run the 4age dizzy and use a BIM to control it for now (won't have advance) and then get a dizzy controller like a hyperpak once you have done the cruise. If you scroll down you will see the BIM install. Edited December 19, 201114 yr by Trev Report
December 20, 201114 yr Author comment_572601 Thanks for looking. I had a setup very much the same, lots of the no advance symptoms etc. And my current attempt is with a DIY silicon chip, which was a very bad mistake. Impossible to run correctly. I've tried for quite a while to get it working correctly, was almost there and then another problem came up and the situation started snowballing, so I'm fed up with that idea. I'd like to get a hyperpack, but I can't source one. If I had one I'd have it running tomorrow. Any ideas on where to find one? Thanks again. Report
December 20, 201114 yr comment_572602 Thanks for looking. I had a setup very much the same, lots of the no advance symptoms etc. And my current attempt is with a DIY silicon chip, which was a very bad mistake. Impossible to run correctly. I've tried for quite a while to get it working correctly, was almost there and then another problem came up and the situation started snowballing, so I'm fed up with that idea. I'd like to get a hyperpack, but I can't source one. If I had one I'd have it running tomorrow. Any ideas on where to find one? Thanks again. This is how he did it when I got mine: Email the bloke at hyperpak (http://www.erd.co.nz/products/toyota.html) he will then put one on eBay so you can purchase it. Report
December 20, 201114 yr comment_572604 I looked into fitting the 4age dizzy into a K block a short time ago. To fit 4K dizzy. Will need a bush for the dizzy to slide into. K dizzy diameter as the I.D and A dizzy diameter as the O.D. (will put up the sizes in a second). EDIT: The K dizzy has a 26.92mm body, While the 4AGE has a 36.02 body. You need to remove the dizzy drive gear from both distributors. Fit the A dizzy drive gear to the K dizzy shaft. Then trim shaft to the right length. The body of the distributors (from where they sit against the block/head) to the end (where the hardened washer and gear sit against) are the same length. The 4a dizzy's body drops down in size right at the end. You may have to grind/machine the K dizzy the same. Not sure if it was done for clearance of the cam in the 4AGE or for production costs. Edited December 20, 201114 yr by SLO-030 Report
December 20, 201114 yr comment_572606 The go would be to make a brass bush with something like a 36.1mm OD and 27mm ID. Loctite into 4AGE head. Slip 4K dizzy in. I'm also pretty sure the 4K dizzy clamp works perfect with 1 hole already in the GE head. Report
December 20, 201114 yr Author comment_572624 Thanks Trev, I'll email him now. I'm not too good at machining things, I'm more of a "use a hammer" kinda guy haha. but this is what you mean yes? I remember seeing someone make a spacer the thickness of the difference of the 2 dizzy shafts, instead of cutting the shaft? Which would save machining anything. I'm not sure if I remember that correctly... Having said that, I've seen about 5 different ways of building it. If I don't have any luck with the hyperpack, which seems like the more viable option at this stage. I'll use it instead. Cheers. Report
December 20, 201114 yr comment_572627 Go to a local machinist. ask em to make you a brass or steel bush to the dimensions above. Then all you have to do is swap gears and cut the tab off the end that spins a K oil pump. Bush like this Edited December 20, 201114 yr by SLO-030 Report
December 20, 201114 yr comment_572635 So you wanna revert to a points ignition on the 4ag or have you got an electronic dizzy for it? Report
December 21, 201114 yr Author comment_572815 I'm weighing up my options at this stage. I'd rather electronic, and if I can't get the parts I'll fall back on the 4k dizzy. EDIT: Hyperpack bloke sent me an email, gonna buy one. Edited December 21, 201114 yr by bAKER Report
December 21, 201114 yr comment_572854 I'm weighing up my options at this stage. I'd rather electronic, and if I can't get the parts I'll fall back on the 4k dizzy. EDIT: Hyperpack bloke sent me an email, gonna buy one. I would rather put a BMI onto the standard dizzy and have no advance then have to buy an electronic dizzy from a K motor and get a few bits made up for it. Was the hyperpak $320? Report
December 21, 201114 yr Author comment_572884 You don't think they're reliable? $260, christmas special or some such. Edited December 21, 201114 yr by bAKER Report
December 22, 201114 yr comment_572904 You don't think they're reliable? $260, christmas special or some such. No I meant no point wasting money when you can get the standard on to work for around $20 and advance is only there for economy. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now