Best Setup For Good Traction And Grip For A Ke70

Istartfires

Hey guys I'm thinking about getting another ke70/ae71 and want it to handle like its on rails, i would pretty well like to know what i will need and what brands/ products to get.

I'm also thinking about a 4age conversion in gime too but keep the motor pretty well stock besides extractors and exhaust.

My questions are,

What suspension to use, shocks and spring kg ect?

Swaybars?

Brakes?

Do i get strut braces?

Wheel size, tire size and anything else to make the car as close to a gocart as possible with a reosonable budget 3-4 grand?

Edited by Istartfires

Members dont see this ad

It's going to depend on a few things. Is it track only, or track and daily drive? This will affect what's practical for spring rates and damping. A sway bar upgrade is always good, good shocks are always a good idea as well as strut braces. I don't think you want to go too hard on suspension like some people tend to, because ultimately the body is designed for softer rates and probably won't be able to take full advantage of a really stiff setup.

I'd have a dig around here and also ae86drivingclub. Making both of these cars which are very similar is a pretty well established formula. Probably the best bang for buck would be a reasonable set of second hand coil overs based on ae86 struts. Lower springs on the back will help, I wouldn't go for too high a rate, Adelaide roads suck. Sway bars, decent tyres and do it properly, i.e. use RCA's if you've lowered it to maintain the geometry and then hook it all to the road with some decent tyres. You might also want to consider traction brackets as well. If you're smart about it you should have change....

these mite be a good starting point?

ae68 setup

get a good set of sway bars for around $200-250 each front and back and you should be set :)

My set up has these shocks, set at + half turn with JDM AE86 struts mounted on power steering arms,

All sitting on lovells lowered springs front and rear, my sway bars are adjustable the front bar is 25mm and the rear is 19mm.

car handles quite well is very direct

Also my tyres are 195/60 R14 Adrenalin Potenza RE001

Sawybars would be an investment you don't need to make.

Id get good spring rates first. If you want pure grip, look for about a 5kg front, 3kg rear rate combo. Get excellent dampers, koni or bilstein, all the jap stuff is designed for golfcourse smooth roads and super stiff 'drift' style spring rates.

Replace all your bushes with Nolathane or Super pro type. If you can afford it, convert some xt130 twin spot struts to coilovers so you can height adjust.

Bigger Swaybars will give you less grip. The bigger front will cause understeer, the bigger rear will cause oversteer, put the 2 together you have a real mess. A car that wont turn in and when it does it will want to spin or run wide if you touch the throttle, depending on the grip available.

don't go too low. One overlook facet of suspension design is droop. The shocks and springs need to ride in the middle of the stroke so that you can not top out your suspension when the car becomes unweighted.

The other main improvement you can do is to add an lsd to get the car more balanced on the power and turning tighter. You will get more power on the tarmac with an lsd.

None of this is cheap. you are looking at about a $4000 list of parts and labour. If you can do it yourself you will save some money.

Struts for conversion - $150

Coilover kit with spring - $300 otomoto

Cut and weld strut to suit your damper selection - $250

Excellent shocks all round - $800

Bushes to fit prothane etc - $150

Rear springs custom wound - $200

AE86 diff with 2 way lsd - $1500.

Camber tops for camber adjustment - $300

Many people will tell you to:

Put cut falcon springs in - MISTAKE!

Put Sierra Shocks in - MISTAKE!

Cut stock springs - Mistake!

Stiffer swaybars - Mistake!

Go really low - Mistake!

lock your diff - Mistake!

Put in 8/6 kg spring combo - Mistake!

If your looking for advice from someone and they tell you to do any of the above for grip tuning, then they should be ignored. don't be afraid to laugh in someone's face. If they want to be proved wrong then just finish your car the right way then take them to a track day and burn them off.