Nathan'S Ae71 Daily

Hillynath

Update.

Decided to completely bypass the heater assembly (Heater core and tap) and just ran a length of heater hose from outlet to outlet. (Or outlet to inlet, whatever)

Also thought I'd look into the ticking, got the ole feeler gauge out and checked the valve clearances and a couple of the intake valves were about .05 out so tightened up the gap and loosened up one that didn't have any play at all.

Nice quiet engine now :cool:

Didn't get to test drive it and check how the cooling situation was going so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Members dont see this ad

Update..

Have been driving it for the last few day's. Radiator cap on safety rather than on completely.

I find that it uses a little water with the cap on rather than having it on safety.

Hasn't overheated on me and is running great!

I'm waiting on a new Boot seal to arrive so I can fix up the small rust spots around the seal area and fit the new seal so my boot stay's dry :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been over a month since my last post... I'm always checking out what I can and reading everything of interest on here. Just little posting.

The Corolla is going great, for a 29 year old car that is.. Been driving it everyday without any hassles. About a week ago I noticed a strong fuel smell start to emerge, turned out to be the fuel pump. It was leaking out the inspection ports on the underside as the internals of it were stuffed (Assumed). Picked up a new Goss one for $100 with gasket's and the spacer which I was happy about.

My boot seal arrived but I'm yet to do much about that.. Over the next week or so I might start cutting away at the small rust spot's and get a start with it.

I bought a standard rear swaybar from an Ra60 celica which I'll put in once it arrives, Should make driving it a little more fun :wink:

I'm also on the lookout for a towbar setup.. The missus has one on her Ae82 hatch which she doesn't need which I might pinch. I'll have to measure it up first to make sure it'll work.

Apart from these few things that's all I have to report with. Ill have to get some more photo's soon too! :)

• 10 months later...

Where do I start :doh:

Well last time I was posting I was having issues with the cooling system. Turn's out the head was cactus. Pulled it off and had to source another one as it was well beyond repair.

I found a whole rwd 4ac in good condition for bugger which turned out great, it had all the water accessories still in excellent condition which I needed as mine were a little rough. (Thermostat housing, Water pump, pipe running under the manifolds, inlet/outlet on the back of the head) It was a great find and awesome for a part's bitch.

Whilst I had it all apart I sent the new head away, and replaced anything I could. all the hoses, seals, gaskets, o rings, belts, you name it I changed them (You would be mad not to) I also got a new radiator for it seeing as the rest of the cooling system was virtually new, and the old one was pretty clogged up anyway.

Picked up the required 4ac in the ae82 :D

P2210211.jpg

The old head,

P2190196.jpg

P2190199.jpg

Some photo's of it coming apart

P2180176_zpsbb51201c.jpg

P2180183.jpg

So I got it all back together and running again as intended and it was excellent. No cooling system drams! ;)

It was running well but not perfect, the carby was next as it was filthy when I bought the car and still filthy now. I had a spare one from the purchased 4ac (Part's bitch to the rescue) Off to Repco for a carby kit and a few hours of scrubbing and fiddling around with it and it was on and running :cool:

I was having trouble getting it running 100% and I was fed up with the mass amount of vacuum hoses this thing has so I decided to block them off entirely. Complete vacuum delete, except for the distributor advance. It made working around the carby area much nicer that's for sure. I also got it running just how I wanted it. Perfect.

Other maintenance during the last few month's consisted of diff and trans fluid change, front wheel bearings replaced and just general oil changes.

I also flipped the air filter lid :P I love the sound of the standard carby under load now as it made it quite noticeable.

So, Where is it now and how is it you ask...

Since my last post I have done around 20 thousand k's (It's my daily for work) and it run's like a dream. Sit's on perfect temperature all day long, in traffic, on the highway and up the biggest hills. Doesn't miss a beat. It gets a flogging sometimes and I just can't fault it. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. I love it.

I also was in need of some new tyres, A friend of mine had a set of 14x7 Bathurst Globe style wheel's for sale with 95% tread for cheaper than what I was going to pay for my new tyres. They're in average condition but definitely make the car look a little cooler :lol:

It might be mechanically excellent but its a little rough around the edges when it comes to the exterior unfortunately :( I don't consider myself competent when it comes to body work so I'm learning to deal with it how it is :P

I haven't got many photos. Just a couple of how it is at the moment.

20120915_141915_zps0bf25b3f.jpg

20121202_233315_zpsabc58d64.jpg

20121202_233428_zps402dac46.jpg

Different angle with weird light produced this orange corolla strangely. (Not edited)

20121202_233407_zps9a0551f1.jpg

20121220_132359_zps96c13b95.jpg

I've probably missed a few thing's, ahwell.