Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Carby Tinkerin

Featured Replies

G'day fellas, hows it going?

 

Here is my dilemma for this week.

 

I have a 4k motor in my Sierra and going up hills (more like steps, quarry walls, etc) I'm finding that my car is flooding, fuel is coming through the overflows and I have to hold it flat just to stop it from stalling.

 

So far I am thinking I may have set the float tangs wrong when I rebuilt the carb, though I did it to the specifications on the instructions. Otherwise I have read recommendations of using a low pressure electric pump instead of the mechanical one, not sure if this will solve the problem. Or I have been wondering the effects of just blocking the overflows?

 

Would appreciate anyone's input on this.

 

Thanks

If you block the overflows it will push more through the jets I'm pretty sure!

 

You can buy adjustable fuel pressure regulators for about $50, which is what I use on the SUs. Mine set at about 1psi, 5 is the max I think. They might help a bit.

 

Overall I think its a carb design fault you have, and mayby a carb facing at 90deg would help. Webers DCOEs starve going around left-hand corners, and flood a little going around right-handders, or vice versa.. but anyway, its a common problem of g-forces not being vertical. If you turn the carb 180deg it will flood going downhill, that's probably better, but it might starve going uphill then.

 

EFi it!! :laff:

Its a common problem with carby fed 4wds, how soon it happens depends on the carby you are using.

 

Perhaps jump on one of those offroad sites and see if there is a particular type of carby people are having sucess with?

  • Author

I'm a member of Auszookers and some of them use the 4k carby's on their Sierra motors because they reckon they are better on angles :blinks:

 

I must have really buggered up the float level...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.