Backfiring 4Afc

gilly40k

Hey I have a Toyota corolla ae92 it has the 4afc motor I have changed the carby because a backfiring issue but still remains what else can it be? The carby is a sealed unit u can't change air or fuel mixture I have a brand new muffler on it also new plugs new leads and new rotor button and cap i need help please

Members dont see this ad

Do a compression test and see if one of the inlet valves is leaking back into the carb.

Is this a sharp explosion "BANG" back in the manifold, of more of a "cough" as it misfires?

Our R31 Pintara does it just as you accelerate again after trailing the throttle, so changing gear is a common time. It just gives a little cough as the throttle opens. I don't want to look at it, the car is worth nothing really, but the cost of buying something else to replace it will be...

Ignition timing can do that, give it 8-10deg advance and see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise do a compression test to see if an exhaust valve is leaking.

If it doesn't fire a cylinder it dumps that unburnt fuel out into the exhaust where the flame from the next cylinder fires it. So if a plug or lead or any part of the ignition circuit is missing a cylinder that might do it.

Do a compression test and see if one of the inlet valves is leaking back into the carb.

Is this a sharp explosion "BANG" back in the manifold, of more of a "cough" as it misfires?

Our R31 Pintara does it just as you accelerate again after trailing the throttle, so changing gear is a common time. It just gives a little cough as the throttle opens. I don't want to look at it, the car is worth nothing really, but the cost of buying something else to replace it will be...

Twin spark CA20 Altezza??

Sorry for unrelated post.

yep- Although I do have both coils firing at the same time.

Interestingly, we checked plugs recently and the driver's side 4 were beautifully clean (the main ones) and the passenger's were black and crappy. So although they fire together the secondarys are not in a place where there is a good burn. (which is why the factory fitted them I suppose!) Since August its done two trips Orange to Armidale and back, and a trip up to the Queensland border... No problems at all, except a bolt came fractionally loose in the rear suspension and caused it to creak over bumps. ..and the UJ at the diff shat itself, but hey, it was free!

Can't complain about free cars! A friend of mine had one for a daily. Picked it up for 250 bucks i think. He just slapped some rego on it and bashed it around. He ended up sledging out in the wet, mounting a curb and landing on a large rock. The chassis was ALL bent up. Still drove it for months after that. The thing was a machine, just kept going and going.

They run mighty lean :P

Ok so what I am going to well doing is! I paid for a new manifold carb recon emissions control hoses upper throttle cleaner helps clear cylinders I am just gonna go over bored and make sure I don't miss any thing replacing the catconverter and exhaust manifold with pacemakers should fix it