Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Eoo (Expressions Of Opinion) Fastest Ke20 Engine Conversion?

Featured Replies

Got everything to get engine running, radiator from the lexus just fits, got all wiring, ecu, even throttle cable everything to get it running!

Car also had full service history with only 165000kms on the clock.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 85.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • oh what a nissan feeling!
    oh what a nissan feeling!

    I could convert a bush basher rolla to sr20det for 2k.   It would have standard brakes, diff, everything.   Cut and shut unbalanced tailshaft.   Gravity fed surge tank.   At the end of the day

  • the witzl
    the witzl

    only 180hp.... and you have added around 150kg over the alternatives such as a 4age, 3sge, etc.   Power to weight says fail.

  • Author

it was a body damaged supra that got me on this train of thought, it was $2k and running. I was originally going to go with a turbo 5k.. and have most of the bits for it.. but i thought hard about it, and I don't think it will keep me happy for long.. I have a worked vr4 galant, and have considered using the turbo 4g63, and selling the rest as parts.. I dunno, maybe i'll just do a turbo 4ag like everyone else.. or maybe i'll just sell all my shit and buy one already done..

 

I was only asking about the engine, and i want to start with the engine. I do not see the point in building the car, suspension, brakes, etc, get it all sorted, then throw everything out of whack because i put another 100 kgs into it.

My KE70, to which i am fitting a turbo 18RG (yes silly idea but meh), has to date cost me around $10K doing nearly everything myself.

If i could weld, i would have saved around $1500 of that.

 

I still have around $3k to spend to get it running.

 

... and I'm doing things quite frugally.

 

 

yes you could spend just $2k on the engine.... but where you will burn double that sum is:

- diff

- tailshaft

- gearbox

- gearbox tunnel mods

- radiator

- fuel system

- crossmembers and engine/gearbox mounts

- sump modifications

- intercooler piping

- exhaust system (and most likely a turbo manifold that will FIT in your engine bay)

- etc etc

 

.... and thats even if you do things on the CHEAP.

 

Ive done enough conversions in my time to know these things are not cheap.

My KE70, to which i am fitting a turbo 18RG (yes silly idea but meh), has to date cost me around $10K doing nearly everything myself.

If i could weld, i would have saved around $1500 of that.

 

I still have around $3k to spend to get it running.

 

... and I'm doing things quite frugally.

 

 

yes you could spend just $2k on the engine.... but where you will burn double that sum is:

- diff

- tailshaft

- gearbox

- gearbox tunnel mods

- radiator

- fuel system

- crossmembers and engine/gearbox mounts

- sump modifications

- intercooler piping

- exhaust system (and most likely a turbo manifold that will FIT in your engine bay)

- etc etc

 

.... and thats even if you do things on the CHEAP.

 

Ive done enough conversions in my time to know these things are not cheap.

 

Listen to this man ^^^

... yep.... and i havent even started on the less than lucklustre standard braking and suspension fitted to the KE20.

There's another $2-3k there if you want to play at sprint/track days and be able to actually stop the car in less distance than an A380 landing at sydney airport.....

 

 

 

EDIT: i can't speel

Edited by the witzl

And alas, we come to our conclusion. You will NOT pull off an SR20 conversion in a KE20 for 2k. You are dreaming if you think you can.

Buy the halfcut. See how far you get ;)

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Buy the halfcut. See how far you get wink.gif

 

ok so i have found a vr v6 with 105000kms on it complete car minus front struts. $600. still considering whether i want that engine plus it's auto :/

 

that would leave me $1400.. think i would prefer a ca18det tho.

 

i wont be buying a halfcut. I will buy a whole car, damaged or not, take what i want and part out the rest. I will get it done in less than $2k.

Post up a build thread once you've made your decision and prove it then. Dude, buying a wrecked S13 is going to cost you close to 1000 if not more, even just having a tailshaft made is going to cost you around the 400 mark, shortening a diff to go with it, suspension, brakes, intercooler piping, the list just keep going.

God damn,

 

Doesn't anyone else do a complete rebuild of the engine before they stick it in a car?

 

I got my block tested, head tested, new bearings, complete gasket kits and so forth before I even started at looking at anything else,

 

My situation was going to be high boost application but still its better safe then sorry and not have doubts everytime you drive your car.

 

Just to do that alone, if you don't have connections could cost your $2000 (using well known parts not cheap ebay crap eg bearings etc)

 

I would have thought someone would of added that into the discussion, doesn't matter if you have it fitted everything else in for your budget and the car dies first time its boosted/hits redline etc.

 

Edit: Yes I know you can look at the condition inside of the engine, but I still feel better replacing everything anyway.

 

Dave

Edited by Stenzel

I'm just speaking about getting the engine completely into the car and have it ready to be driven. Nothing else. That alone will be out of his budget.

I wasn't calling out anyone Willis,

 

I'm just saying my opinon to OP

 

Do it right and do it once.

 

But if it is going to be a bush basher then I guess who cares doesn't matter if it fails after your second drive.

Edited by Stenzel

And I agree with your opinion. :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.