Alice The St141

Hey Guys,

Picked myself up a new dd yesterday. '83 st141.

Running the stock 2sc but its been rebuilt 30k ago apparently. Already done a few mods to her. Put a set of Ma61 mags on an i stuck my old twinky wheel from my keto in too. Doesn't have a tacho, but instead rocking the huge clock. I have a 5" autometer tacho i could put in, but it seems a little over the top :/

The previous owner has put ma70 struts and brakes into the car, but its running non captive king springs of unknown model so I'm looking to replace those. Considering how much info is out there on e7's i was dissapointed to find it pretty hard to find anything really about what suspension i can use in this beast. I have heard that you can run s13 coilovers in the front and an s13 strut brace fits on with no mods. Anyone know exactly whats required to install some s13 coilovers in the front? I'm thinking of using s13 coils with ca brakes to clear the 14"s (i think 14's will fit still?) I saw a post from nissansilvia.com with a guy using sigma lca with s13 coilovers and some random brakes with longer tie rod ends. Sound legit?

Been doing some little things here and there all day today, and shes getting a full service tomorrow. Excite!

I have a 32/36 to go on in the next few weeks, and it has a 4-2-1 set of wildcat extractors with 2" system. No rear muffler at the moment (previous owner had the stock rear muffler still in place and the 2" zorst ending just before the diff with a dumpy pointing to the road. New muffler going in on monday with some shotgun tips. Should look alright. She goes pretty well at the moment since it has no back pressure and a stock carby.

Also, Does anyone know where the ignition coil would be on these? I have a brand new gt40 i can stick in, but they seem to have the coil hidden somewhere :/

Cheers guys, ill keep everyone updated :D

post-15865-0-41424500-1333090612_thumb.jpg

post-15865-0-68427600-1333091248_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

i think they have the coil built in distributor. easy way is there a coil lead coming out of dizzy cap?

Yeah once i thought about it for more than 5 seconds i realized it can only be in the dizzy since there wasnt a coil lead. Also, if anyone is interested to know, you cane use the black ground wire that disapears into the dizzy as a signal wire for a tacho, just need to tap into it.

Installed my 32/36 today. Running a bit rough but i still have to adjust the mixtures and idle. Its a bit late to be doing it now. But took her for a test drive and its really amazing the difference a good carby can make to a motor. Been a few years since i played with carby cars.

Update time, with more pics :)

post-15865-0-60253000-1333737637_thumb.jpg

I found these at Just Jap, Unfortunetly they were a pretty poo offset. So temping with some 20mm spacers though...

post-15865-0-54491600-1333737678_thumb.jpg

Installing my heaps legit gasket.

post-15865-0-92260500-1333737646_thumb.jpg

Did up new fuel lines for the webber as the old ones were a bit cracked and one had started leaking :/ Added the second filter as a bit of an afterthought for checking fuel to carby after pump, after wishing i had done it on two previous cars haha.

post-15865-0-08790400-1333737692_thumb.jpg

Finally got around to popping the top to check inside. The previous owner told me that the engine was rebuilt about 30k ago. Looks clean enough to be true to me.

post-15865-0-24295600-1333737734_thumb.jpg

Snapped an artsy pic while waiting at the lights.

post-15865-0-28470800-1333737750_thumb.jpg

Looks good from side on, but needs more low I think.

post-15865-0-38078500-1333737656_thumb.jpg

Took my wabaka out of the soarer. Its parked up for a while so might as well stick it on the daily haha

Please lose the bonnet scoop :P

Or is it covering a hole? hmmmm.gif

Looks good so far though!

Yeah the previous owner actually cut a hole above the carby. Not sure if I should buy a new white bonnet or stick with it and make it more useful by building a cold air box around the webber. Haven't decided yet.

Next step will be the suspension. Looking to go mx73 LCA, xt130 coilovers, t3 camber top hat kit, Hilux/pergeot brakes and the t3 ps arms to fit the larger struts. Aw11 rack ends and ra40 middle rods and tie rod ends to complete the steering side of things. Rear I havnt decided yet. The car has a locker at the moment which if it was my weekend car and i didnt live in the police state would be fine. So I need to get a diff I can put a LSD in and that preferably bols in. Haven't had a search yet though.

Small update: The car/engine has a pretty bad rattle between 3k and 4k. I looked down the top at the valve train but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The motor runs very smooth under and above 3/4k. I tested with someone else driving pushing down on all the little bits of trim which i figured might be adding to noise to see if i could make the noise clearer so i could pin point it. I discovered that the shifter was making alot of the vibration and noise inside the car so i set to work seeing if i could improve it. I can't remember what model box it is but it has reverse as the top left gear, and you need to press down to engage it. Mine was so flogged out you didn't need to press down anymore and the spring and bushings were quite sad. It made a hell of a racket. had a look to see if i could use some washers to tighten up the spring a bit, but its not possible because of the thickness of the shifter. Instead, I used a spare new rubber shifter surround i had from my last ke70 build.

post-15865-0-94087800-1333903347_thumb.jpg

The metal holder was not the right shape, so I used the factory corona metal surround. The boot needed some coaxing, but in the end I got it to fit perfectly. The inside was now separated from the outside by the rubber boot. It still had a rattle, which I decided was partly because of the loose shift knob, so I replaced that too. The inside of the car is MUCH quieter now.

With most of the other rattles gone and the noise/ rattle from the shifter reduced substantially I have determined that the engine is definitely making a substantial rattle. I don't know what would be causing this at such specific rpm? Since s13's use the same bolt pattern on the strut, I was thinking of using an s13 engine dampening brace, coupled with some new engine mounts and gearbox mounts. Hopefully this will help some and not just make the engine shake its self to pieces.

Information on these is pretty scarce, Who knows if and where i could purchase a new shifter aside from Toyota? And is there a 5 speed box that doesn't have reverse in a stupid spot with a terrible spring loaded shifter?

And can anyone weigh in on my suspension ideas? I'm hoping with that set up i can have 3-4 degrees negative camber with a lot of steering lock. Plus good brakes.

Also, if anyone lives near me and owns a timing light, ill give you beer to come over and help me check my ignition timing :y:

Anyone have any of the above listed items for sale per chance?

• 4 months later...

this is sick. nice work!!

I got a ST141 myself, personally I'm planning on sticking more-or-less stock with the 2SC guts inside. But this is a cool thread, keep it up!!

I wanna see what you've been up to with her!! smile.png

I'll post mine when I get the money together and the work done.

Edited by DingoKid