Broken Engine Mount Stud

Jono

Hi,

I just joined the forum, I have a '71 ke20 and am doing a 4AGE conversion (yeah, yeah not original but very cheap)

I have put a ke55 diff in the back and the front brakes are also ke55.

So that is me and my car.

Had crane all ready and then:

I find a broken engine mount stud.... (why didn't i see this earlier? I dumped the motor under my house at night in the dark and it just came to light)

What are your experiences with broken studs?

I'm new to all this (mechanic stuff and forum posting).

From what I've read on the net either welding a nut onto the remnants or getting a stud extraction tool to remove it seems to be the norm.

However, I'm trying to see why I can't just drill the bastard out and re-tap a slightly larger thread in and use a larger stud? Its only an engine mount afterall.

Thanks

Jon

Members dont see this ad

Id be avoiding drilling larger holes in the block, just because its something you can use over and over again and youre then stuck using a different sized bolt every time. Use it as a last resort method. Like you said, try an easy out, if that doesnt work try welding a bolt onto it.

4A-GE KE20, very cool. I don't think its done as often as you think. You can step up to the KE70 brakes pretty easy from there but its probably not a big enough upgrade to justify it.

Ah- ha! I was wondering where this thread had got to.

I've found that in the past, bolts like this have broken generally in shear application, and are usually very easy to remove with a drill and ezi-out.

The problem with drilling it out also is making sure that you run square all the way down the hole. Not easy.

Cheers

Rob

I just got back from Melbourne where I took my beast to get a brand new reco motor put in it. Whilst attaching the metal plate (that covers the water jacket) on the back of the head, I twisted the head off the bolt (can you say overtighten?).

Dad came to the rescue with a really small screwdriver and a hammer and tapped the shaft of the bolt out of the head with no drilling involved.

Seemed fairly simple to do. Not sure how easy it is to do on larger bolts.

Got the stud out! (won't be half as scared next time)

Guess that means motor will go in one night this week or on weekend.

Anyone got a mate with a 318i who wants a really good parts car? I want $1000 (coz it needs a blue slip)- good body, new fuel pumps, reco diff, great interior, K&n filter, bilsteins, eibach springs, manual 4dr, will take it to farm for paddock bashing if it doesn't sell by April. got given a company car so i let this one slip. 2.5 double vanos motor also available as are 17" rims for a little more money. 0401541167