The Joely-Rolla -- Ke30 2-Door Project.

JJT036

oh ok awsome,

on the stock ke30-55 is the stud pattern 4x114.3?

Yes. Stock KE30-55, KE70, AE71, AE86 Corolla's have 4x114.3 Stud Pattern.

Haha i love the "air filter".

Cheers mate. Farm-spec filter. We ended cleaning up the filter box, and throwing in a spare air-filter we had laying around. :)

• 2 months later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its time to update :

We finnaly tracked down rust free sections to repair the arse end ! YAY

now just gotta pick up a mig welder to fit them and then it will be full steem ahead

Stay Tunned

Cheers

Joel

We have fitted the rear 1/4 window temporarily, just so if we have to leave it outside for any reason, we can just roll it out and not worry about weather getting into it.

We then put some juice into it, and unblocked the fuel lines, and Josh happily donated his Cressida battery to try start it. It didn't start and it was dead after 5 cranks. So the battery is on charge, and tomorrow or sometime this week, we'll try and get it running.

Joel.

Update time:

Just got the Joely-rolla goin'. It's got a strong 3k, good gearbox, and now a blown diff. For some reason it went bang when dad reversed fast in one spot !!

So now another thing to add to the list of repairs -- FIX DIFF. We're lucky that I have a spare. :)

Started first shot with a Full-Charged battery, and after 5 good revs, all the smoke and stale fuel were cleared, and now it starts and idles hassle-free. Win! :dance:

Thats all for now.

Woz & Joel. :cool:

• 3 months later...

Well summer is on its way and me and the old man are just hangin' for the summer holidays so I can get stuck into it.

I've recently just received the paint for it. PPG Deltron 2-Pac Metallic Paint. Keeping the colour secret until its done and on the car, but all I can say is I got 8 Litres of it for a very good deal. :)

So we'll get stuck into the bodywork very soon, but first the the axles in the Diff need to be fixed so I can drive it to and from the garage, not push it there.

Joel.

• 1 month later...

Little update.

Today was a productive, but disappointing day. We diagnosed the Diff problem, and found that the Centre was missing a few teeth in a few areas. So we removed the oil, the axles, and the centre, then changed over the Diff Centre from a Jap Diff we had spare, refitted the axles and put in some new diff oil, and it at least moves under it's own power now, but it's still stuffed. And to add to the problem, the tailshaft is also stuffed.

So next on the to-do list is changing the Diff and Tailshaft to a Borgy Setup (again) that we have laying around and ready to go, which will happen during the Christmas Holidays we now have.

We also changed the bonnet to a KE55 Square-Front Bonnet we grabbed from Jesse (the_ke55), because the original was pretty far gone as far as rust. But before fitting it, we got out some prepsol, wiped it down, and hit it with some Satin Black through a Supercheap Auto spray-can. Then bolted it on, but the hinge mount needs to be modified to make the bonnet sit flush with the front-guard chrome-trim lines.

post-8003-0-17063200-1356174849.jpg

Joel. :cool:

Edited by JJT036

• 3 months later...

Not much has happened but a little update.

all rust in arse end has been cut out and new panels welded in.

now that joel has his learners, i have to get this project on the move.

pics will come soon.

cheers

Woz

Edited by JJT036

• 2 months later...

Time to update.

It has been a very very slow project, with Josh getting his daily registered and adding things to his KE36, but now this thing is full steam ahead.

Over the past few weekends, Josh and I have been working on an engine swap. We pulled out the old and slowly dying 3K and 4-speed. During the process of removing things to take the engine out, we discovered it was using just water for coolant, which resulted in the top radiator hose pipe to snap clean off (lucky we have spares). So we got the engine and gearbox out (still can't believe how easy it is), and while the engine bay was empty, we unbolted all the add-ons and wiring from the engine bay so it could be degreased and gernied, it was cleaned up, then it was painted Satin Black to make it look presentable. While it was drying, we cleaned up all the surfaces where the gaskets would go, then swapped over all the intake/exhaust, the water pump, all the cooling hoses and pipes, the engine mounts, the fuel pump, and other bits that we needed from the 3K.

The engine bay was dry, so we bolted back on the add-ons and the wiring, then fitted the 4K and 4-speed that Was in Josh's KE36. We bolted up the engine to the mounts, the gearbox crossmember to the body, the alternator to the engine, connected the alternator, starter motor, and distributor wiring, connected the speedo-cable, clutch-cable, throttle-cable, all the sensor clips and earth straps, and it lives! Even with the stock exhaust without the muffler, it sounded awesome. It certainly put a smile on my face.

post-8003-0-34181700-1374580124_thumb.jpg

post-8003-0-60664500-1374580122_thumb.jpg

post-8003-0-91940600-1374580195_thumb.jpg

post-8003-0-16841000-1374580146_thumb.jpg

post-8003-0-11782000-1374580170_thumb.jpg

post-8003-0-59324500-1374580219_thumb.jpg

post-8003-0-79814500-1374580903_thumb.jpg

post-8003-0-39007800-1374580902_thumb.jpg

Now just need to bolt back on the rest of the front of the car (bonnet, grille, radiator-support, fan-cowl, etc), and sort out the diff, so we can move on to the next stage - Paint and Panel. And I've already chosen and decided on it's new colour. :)

Joel. :cool: