Vt Saloon Car Build, Super Six Touring Car Racing

glenpos

Members dont see this ad

Full road going weight is somewhere around the 1700kg weight (electric seats, windows etc etc included in that)

I'm pretty sure the manual box is just as heavy as the auto (T5s suck to drop on your face...)

Given what you've taken out, but the stuff youve put back in (cage etc) it would still have to be tipping the scales somewhere close to 1500kg

Full road going weight is somewhere around the 1700kg weight (electric seats, windows etc etc included in that)

I'm pretty sure the manual box is just as heavy as the auto (T5s suck to drop on your face...)

Given what you've taken out, but the stuff youve put back in (cage etc) it would still have to be tipping the scales somewhere close to 1500kg

Yeah more meant as it is now. Cheers mate.

hey guys, yeah not sure on weight, saloon cars have a 1450 kg min, but would say mine is 1550 or more, car went good on the weekend, only got three sessions due to power steering melting the dipstick haha, i knocked 1.5 secs off, and got 1st again, ill update on how it went some time today,

heres a quick vid from outside

• 1 month later...

hey guys, sorry about not posting for ages haha, got a bit lazy, heres a few pics

melted bottle haha,

post-15067-0-82326100-1364592478_thumb.jpg

and the side pipe, didn't going off the outside of wintons huge ripple strip haha

post-15067-0-05700800-1364592592_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-38828900-1364592691_thumb.jpg

lots of brake dust on the front wheels

post-15067-0-93142100-1364592838_thumb.jpg

i made a new camera mount yesterday, it mounts to my diagonal bar, hopefully it will be better from there, only thing is my camera is zoomed in pretty far when its not zoomed in, but think it will be better anyway

post-15067-0-82357700-1364593644_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-10148000-1364593784_thumb.jpg

i also slotted the holes in the bottom plate so its adjustable side to side and up and down :)

post-15067-0-44684000-1364593856_thumb.jpg

and here is race 3

its the best one but the others did have a quiet few moments in them as i was trying a bit to hard haha

race 2

race 1 was crap coz i was in the slower class, some of them were about 10 secs a laps slower, but i was against dad off the line, flogged him but his ea is a $20 race car haha

hello, finally got around to installing my window net, also put some bonnet pins on and removed the standard bonnet pull.

not too fussed on the position of the net, i just mounted it the same as one thats in saloon cars so should definitely be ok

post-15067-0-84851800-1365051684_thumb.jpg

post-15067-0-50178400-1365051767_thumb.jpg

Hey Mate

Nice thread even motivated me to join the forum good to see someone keen to put budget racing to the test, I also run a VT Commodore in the QLD saloon car series. Mind you I wasn't as adept to build mine from the ground up. for some clarification with driver in car my weight is between 1510 to 1550 kg depending on fuel load, I have seen national VT's weigh in at just over the 1450 min weight but I have no idea where they loose that extra kgs from.

hey mate, wow thats awesome, yeah the car is getting there, its a bit of a strugle money wise as I'm only 17 but still, the car has come a long way in 7 months, i just can't wait to get into the saloon cars, i'll only be competing in the vic series, hopefully i'll get it finished by round 3, hopefully i'll go ok in the series :) thanks for commenting

Depending on your class regs, losing weight can be pretty easy.

Cage material can make a big difference (cromol versus cold drawn)

Pulling up all the sound deadening from the thing helps, scraping all the stone guard from under the car too.

Then you look at other things like bar reos, non-structural supports etc etc, start with a set of holesaws and just go to town.

Its a bit easier/lenient with the speedway regs, but same thing applies to you guys, anything non essential goes in the bin or gets a hole drilled in it.

What are the regulations on door internals? Can you fit fixed lexan windows to the rear?

that sort of thinking shaves a heap of weight.

That sounds about right.

My car is heavily striped but cage is cold drawn and I do have quite a large battery as opposed to those running the tiny ones that look like there out of a jump pack. Those 2 items alone would get me close to 1450 but I'm not keen on changing cages though. unfortunately regulations do not allow us to gut the doors and put lexan windows in otherwise I would do that for sure.

Just a tip you may want to look into your front end setup not sure what you have done since your photos but looks like your in need of some negative camber on the front. rules allow modifying the strut mounting holes and welding washers over them to achieve this, also you can lower the front of the car slightly by raising the holes up, but be sure not to go too far or the tyres will hit the spring perch. You can also modify the strut top to a max of 10mm to lower the front. I found it easier to modify the nolythane bush to achieve the same effect.

you are also allowed to modify the lower control arm mounting point on the k-frame this combined with moving the strut mounting holes further outward allows you to achieve max track width on the front for the class. hope this helps and good luck with your future racing.

If you want some pics I'll take some off my car but exact locations of these holes is somewhat of a black art and is why within the VT saloon car class there is some cars that handle beautifully and some woefully.