Ke55 5K Conversion 5Speed

camKE55

Hi all,

Very new to this.

I have a 1979 KE55 sedan in great condition, it runs the standard 4k-c(149,000km) and 4speed box. I am looking to upgrade to a 5k with the 5speed gearbox, i have a few questions regarding this conversion

I am on my red P Plates in NSW am I restricted to conveting the engine?

Is the engine hard to convert regarding mounts, diffs, gearbox ect...?

What 5speed gearbox options do i have?

and any other tips and ideas you could give me?

I have done a bit of research so far and I'm just gathering ideas. So all help and idea's are welcomed.

Thanks heaps.

Regards Nathan

Edited by camKE55

Members dont see this ad

Hi all,

Very new to this.

I have a 1979 KE55 sedan in great condition, it runs the standard 4k-c(149,000km) and 4speed box. I am looking to upgrade to a 5k with the 5speed gearbox, i have a few questions regarding this conversion

I am on my red P Plates in NSW am I restricted to conveting the engine?

Is the engine hard to convert regarding mounts, diffs, gearbox ect...?

What 5speed gearbox options do i have?

and any other tips and ideas you could give me?

I have done a bit of research so far and I'm just gathering ideas. So all help and idea's are welcomed.

Thanks heaps.

Regards Nathan

Not a terribly hard job to do but:

1. This engine swap will not comply with the P plate laws in any state unless you somehow get an exemption (almost impossible). But you could grind the 5k engine numbers off and replace them with your old 4k ones if you are keen to have it in and somewhat legit if a cop pops the hood.

2. every thing that bolts on a 4k, will bolt to a 5k. mounts, gearbox, manifolds clutch and flywheel ect.

3. k50 is the box your looking for, should be one around in the for sale section for around $150

4. tips: if you have not done much engine work before get someone who has to help you take the old out and put the new in. see if any rollaclub members are in your area willing to give a helping had (many know the k series engines inside out and can deal with anything that may arise). my tips are to:

1. Take the gear shifter out for ease

2. label all your vac hoses

3. take the radiator out when doing the swap

4. engine crane, makes the job go along without too much hassle

Anything else just search the forum, most questions you need answering have been answered before, you just need to find them

• Upvote 1

look this is a similar issue with 4age ke70's.

essentially, yes, it is illegal, (by law p plate laws restrict any engine modifications, or by any means any engine conversions.)

but, and many people can be witness to this, if you keep it neat, tidy and relatively stock looking, aided by a quiet, exhaust not a stupid cannon or whatever, and a clean car, not mega poking wheels or eye catching paint jokes, theres actually a fair probably that no one would look at you any differently.

I guess one thing on your side would be, the 5k doesn't look out of place within the engine bay. They look pretty similar, era specific.

additionally, if you can find someone who's either oblivious to these motors (and wont know any different) or someone willing to overlook the conversion, you can have the engine numbers changed on the rego papers which will only help your defense.

Some people might flame me for telling you this, and yes, its a risk, but will the right attitude theres a good chance you could do this and be untroubled by the authorities.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to both the replies,

yeah i have a cousin who has done endless conversions on datsuns and things of that sort i will just get him to help out. i do not plan on doing anything stupid to catch attention i just want a clean rolla with a tiny bit more go.

Also could someone answer the best place to buy the 5k engines? like wreckers, import sites .. ect?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Just in reply to Chillin's comment about the clutch and flywheel gear... I've put a 5k and 5 speed in my ke35 and had issues between clutches and flywheels, as far as i can remember you have to run the 5k gear otherwise you won't have any pedal. Might save you pulling the box out three times like i did :S.

• 2 weeks later...