Clutch Upgrade For 4Agte Help!!!

I have a 4agze with a gt28 turbo, supra box, upgraded diff (r31 with lsd) etc... in my ke70

It has a brand new Exedy heavy duty clutch which i though would hold up. But if i drop the clutch to spin the wheels, it slips sometimes. I want to try drift this car or take it to the track.

Any ideas on what to do now?

Also i think the clutch and flywheel is the smaller 4age size- (the clutch plate is 200mm diameter)

I think the 4agze clutch diameter is wider??

Members dont see this ad

anybody?

I'm not sure what the exact part no's are and what dia the clutch is but a mate I built an engine for runs an Exedy "sprung button" clutch and has no issues. We have torn the centre out of a button clutch in the past(won't mention who did it).

You should start off with the larger 212/215mm 4a flywheel which is found behind the small port 4age. Then get yourself at the very least a custom sprung pressure plate. I know there is an off shelf pressure plate to suit this flywheel with 2800lb clamping force. But the guys who built mine have retired and therefore can't get onto them. Contact a reputable clutch place or try Jim Berry clutch bloke.

You should also go for a puck type friction disc but I would stick with sprung centre.

Good luck.

brisbane eh.

id give these guys a call

http://www.npcperformance.com.au/

from a few accounts, you can get them to build whatever you want.

they might even be able to take your exedy clutch and just up the clamping force on it.

sounds like a fun car thats for sure.

I've heard good, good things about NPC. Was going to get them to build my clutch but it was just a little bit overkill for the stock 20v haha

Your issue is that you are using the 200mm baby frywheel..... almost everyone ive known to use this frywheel with a 4agte has had clutch slippage issues.

There are 4 factory frywheel options for the 4ag engines (yes i am deliberately saying frywheel).

1. 200mm - bigport 4age

2. 215mm - smallpart 4age/20v

3. 225mm - AFM and older MAP 4agze

4. 230mm - latest model MAP 4agze (afaik, only from AE101)

You'll find places like exedy don't even recognise that a 230mm flywheel exists for the gze.... but NPC knows it exists, cos ive bought a clutch to suit a 230mm flywheel from him before.

Personally - i would try to get a gze flywheel. Failing that, at least get a 215mm flywheel.

Worth noting though... some custom 4ag-W58 bellhousings (eg, dellows!!!!!!) wont take a bigger flywheel. You might have to look into that.