Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lewolf's Desert Cruiser! (1979 Te38)

Featured Replies

post-15405-0-82362200-1327828082_thumb.jpg

Hello my name is Ben, I live in Arizona right near the Grand Canyon. This is my 1979 Corolla wagon, bought out of someone's backyard for $300 US. Needed a tuneup and a starter and away she went. Carb is junk though so I'm replacing it with a Weber 38 Outlaw that got for a good deal. I wanted something that i could use later with boost or a built motor that has an auto choke, seemed like the right carb for me! The tires on it started cracking and bubbling so I bought new tires and while i was there hell why not some new rims? Sure! I just happened to glance at the brakes while i was in there and OMG! I don't think they had been mantained in years so I dug aound and got some new brake parts. What a difference. I hit the brakes and it stops, no more squeaking or weaving around shit so you don't hit it. Oh well!

The attached pictures are from when I took it up the mountain behind my house and found out the carb is totally shot! Could only drive 50 or so feet and had to pull over and let it idle for a bit to continue on.

post-15405-0-91738700-1341307522_thumb.jpg

post-15405-0-51329800-1341307542_thumb.jpg

Yeah, so what do you think?

  • Author

Thanks guys, yeah suspension drop and an axle swap to support an lsd. Suspension is so boat like it kills me, don't even know what to do to fix it though. Maybe more leaf spring inserts. Any suggestions?

Looks pretty cool Ben. :y:

 

I reckon Chrome Front and Rear Bumpers would make it look a bit better than what it looks like now. :)

 

Wheels look awesome. Definitely needs some low now.

 

All the best with it mate.

 

Josh :cool:

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

So I'm having a few funky issues so please give me your suggestions!

1. Sometimes on startup my engine acts flooded, idles like a nasty bridgeport 13b, and coughs black smoke for about 30 seconds and then it calms down. It is a weber 38 and I noticed on instal that my fuel hose goes empty as soon as I shut off the key.

2. On startup at random I can hear something making a hell of a ruckus from the front of the engine, goes away after 5 or so seconds. Also I cannot seem to get the timing correct for beans, it will run completely differently at different times and seems to lack power.

 

I do know this car has at least 156,000 miles with ZERO mantainance.

New cap, new rotor, new spark plugs, new coil, new wires, 2 oil changes with 20w50(it's hot in the desert).

 

All suggestions welcome.

  • Author

Strong vacuum.

 

I laughed at your avatar btw. Very nice!

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

So i figured out the weird powerband/timing issues and the weird noise at startup.

The valves were WAY out of adjustment and after I set that the power band really came up.

The noise was the timing chain tensioner failing, so i pit in a new timing set and the noise is gone and it runs great! I compared the gears and chain to the new equipment and the chain was severly stretched and the gear teeth were worn down into sharp nubs. Seems to be the biggest improvement yet.

I also just bought an electric carter fuel pump setup, a complete 3tc(needs rebuild) and another rear end.i figure i will rebuild the rear end and hopefully find a decent lsd. I also found my old supercharger and am in the process of selling it to buy me a new turbo for this project. I am going to go boost @ 4-5 lbs with a decent sized turbo, a cam, headwork and a big intercooler, hoping for about 150 hp and about 20mpg.

Think that expectation is reasonable?

  • Author

I also installed a set of delsol seats along with a set of 4 point harness's. Kinda fun to ride around in it now, and getting the ac fixed was a big plus! Works pretty good for a 33 year old setup, all it needed was the low pressure hose.

Lol@ the ac comment!

 

Sweet looking ride. Only wish wagons that old were so 'unrusty' here!

Edited by RO78IN

  • 4 months later...
  • Author

IMG_1249.jpg

WORD!

Nuff Said ;D

Very cool little Te38 are you going to restore it or do it up in a particular style?, also some awesome roads out your way (I drove from Vegas to Grand Canyon then to Phenoix via Sedona a couple years back)

 

 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.