Cam Advice

RhysE

Sounds good but slow.

Eg. 2 ke20's

1 - 5k with a mild cam revved well but no noticible drop in bottom end

2 - 4k with a big cam, compression etc. Cam would come in hard at around 4000rpm

Which do you think was quicker?????????

It wasn't the 4K. In every event enered, the milder motor ate the 4K with the same even with the driver. There was over a car length in it at the end of the 1/8th mile.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a stock 4k cam in my 5k. As long as I shift when the cam peaks it thunders up to 75mph. Winding out sounds cool but doesn't do much in the way of gains.

Problems come to mind when running big lift in a high rpm engine. A lot of distance to travel in a short time at 7200rpm. That valve would be opening 60 times a second. Excess inertia wold destroy that top end. Making it not overly reliable.

Duration is what you want...

Edited by GJM85

Not hatin'

Love the sound of a big cam and webers. Usually because it meant that they were easy pickins for me :)

Big cams can also cause issues further down the driveline too. My Uncles FX had a huge cam, to the point that the throttle linkage needed to be changed as the motor rocking would cause the throttle to open and close. Anyway, the constant loping of the cam when running around town, loading and unloading things like the gearbox and diff, caused them to wear quickly.

Then again, it was only an Opel gearbox in it though...................