Ke20 Suspension Upgrades And 114.3 Hubs

wrathchild

Hi all

Been reading up on options to upgrade my suspension.

I am wanting to know what the best options are for upgrading my suspension for smoother and lower ride in a 74 Ke20.

I am also wanting to change out my hubs to 114.3 stud pattern, so this could influence my suspension options.

Do complete ke70 front struts fit in ke20s?

How do I change my rear hub pattern?

I hear the ke55 diff is a big job?

Can you just put ke70 axles in a ke20 diff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members dont see this ad

:) Thanks for the reply mate but this is why I ask as there is no info on the wiki for ke20 suspension.

I understand that I need to change the front hubs but can I do the whole suspension at the same time.

And with the rear axles which ones will fit in a ke20 diff, or can I bolt on a ke30,55 or 70 diff.

Cut and weld the ke20 spring mounts onto a ke30-55 diff. It will give you big rear brakes but increase your real wheel track by 35mm. Diff ratio is the same at 4.111:1

Or have ke30-55 rear axles shortened and they should fit into a ke20 borg warner diff housing along with the rear brakes. You can use ke55 rear shocks on a ke20 diff then have your leaf spring reset with an extra leaf or just lowering blocks.

The front is a different story. Some just use the 35mm King springs and standard strut inserts. Other fit coil overs.

I had my struts shortened and sleaved to fit VW Golf MK1 short stroke inserts, bump stops and 55mm recoiled King springs. The brakes are ke70 backing plates, front rotors and girlock calipers using ke20 inner wheel bearing and ke70 outer wheel bearing.

It is advisable to use ke30 backing plates, rotors and outer bearing as the ke70 rotors need to be machined a bit as they don't align with the caliper properly on the ke20 stub axle.

Edited by GJM85

Cut and weld the ke20 spring mounts onto a ke30-55 diff. It will give you big rear brakes but increase your real wheel track by 35mm. Diff ratio is the same at 4.111:1

Or have ke30-55 rear axles shortened and they should fit into a ke20 borg warner diff housing along with the rear brakes. You can use ke55 rear shocks on a ke20 diff then have your leaf spring reset with an extra leaf or just lowering blocks.

The front is a different story. Some just use the 35mm King springs and standard strut inserts. Other fit coil overs.

I had my struts shortened and sleaved to fit VW Golf MK1 short stroke inserts, bump stops and 55mm recoiled King springs. The brakes are ke70 backing plates, front rotors and girlock calipers using ke20 inner wheel bearing and ke70 outer wheel bearing.

It is advisable to use ke30 backing plates, rotors and outer bearing as the ke70 rotors need to be machined a bit as they don't align with the caliper properly on the ke20 stub axle.

Cheers for the info GJM85, I've seen your build thread it, mad build man! ;)

The ke30-55 diff sounds decent. With the leaf springs being reset is that without flipping them?

Do the ke30 rotors and brakes fit straight onto a ke20 strut and is that including the 114.3 hubs?

But basically the options are keep ke20 struts and add lowered springs or switch to coilovers etc.

have a look at this..... its a ae86 coil over and brake setup for ke20....I'm getting it for my ke20....

and all ill need is ke55 rear hubs

http://www.rollaclub...t-brakes-quote/

Mmm i don't mind the idea of coilovers but that looks expensive with the brake setup too.

How are you going to run the ke55 hubs?

Some guys on here reset their leaf springs themselves so I think someone on here could help you with that.

As for the ke30/55 brakes. Yes its the 114 pattern and it is very easy to do.

You just have to redrill the 30 backing plate to suit the 20's stub axle then the rest just goes straight on.

Remember you still have to use the ke20 inner wheel bearing and the 30/55 out bearing.

The shocks mount to the spring mount on the ke20 and to the lower spring plate in the 30/55. This is a problem which can only be rectified by cutting the spring mount off the ke20 diff and welding it into place on the 30/55 diff. If you do this you can use either shock reset springs or not.

And I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 30 & 55 rotor and backing plates. I don't see why there would be.

Edited by GJM85