Ke70 Suspension Upgrades

Sidewayslife

I'm new here, so go easy on me.

About a 9 months ago i managed to pick up an original blue 1983 ke70 in perfect condition with nearly no rust, the old man that owned this great car was getting too old to drive and had driven it from brand new, its an amazing little car and starts first time, everytime.

Iv had my ke70 for a while and I'm at the stage where suspension needs to be sorted out. So iv decided to ask some advice,

Iv read alot on suspension upgrades for my 83 Ke70,

Basically I'm in need of a set of coilovers in the front and springs and shocks for the rear, but what are the good value for money brands and does anyone have any second hand kit thats in good condition, that i could take of thier hands?

cheers

Members dont see this ad

What do you want to do with the car?? Drifting? Track racing? Lookin kool 4 da hoes?

What advantages do you think coilovers have over the stock coilover in there?

You have fully adjustable shocks fitted to the front already, you just have to pop them apart to adjust them.

You probably can't do better than Corona LCAs, a lower spring and rebuilt shocks in the front, a Celica rear sway, lower springs and new shocks in the rear. If I were you I'd try that and then once you have seen what those mods do plan how many thousands you want to spend on bigger struts, bigger brakes and all the fruit...

I'd grab a grinder & cut a coil off the front springs and one & 1/2 coils off the back springs, that will drop the car an inch in the front and more in the back to make it level. However, even that will stiffen the suspensioon markedly. Many people on here would not agree with that method..

For a laugh.... We need a strut brace for the rally car, so I emailed Whiteline as they make one for that model Celica. I asked if we could just buy the ends as their actual bar looks pretty weak and won't stand our pre-loading. The reply said no, they only sell the whole package, and they must NOT be preloaded. So what they're selling is just plain fking bling! It won't do anything under your bonnet!

Edited by altezzaclub

• 3 months later...

I'd grab a grinder & cut a coil off the front springs and one & 1/2 coils off the back springs, that will drop the car an inch in the front and more in the back to make it level. However, even that will stiffen the suspensioon markedly. Many people on here would not agree with that method..

I will agree with it cause it's cheap and I have not had any problem with it ever since I cut mine in 1990 when I bought mine. Stiff suspension... YES for at least a few months then it breaks in. Glad the person who cut mine was spot on the first time and quick. Still use them to this day.

Just don't do what I did when they first got cut and spin out on the freeway on ramp. LOL That was kind of embarrassing.

Theres a few sets of ae86 coilovers on ae86drivingclub.com. I just bought a set. Although you'll need Corona XT130 lower control arms and AE86 steering arms to make the combo work with your car. And some camber tops for the coilovers. Not sure about using old ones on top of coilovers. But youre looking at aroudnd 1200-1500 for all that. i'd do what altezza said. cheaper and you learn along the way. thats what i did. this isn't my first suspension set up haha,

I'm tossing up between getting the grinder out on the front and back springs or just getting some mad up,

-Iv heard you can put in suzuki Siera shocks in the back with stiff springs and give you ruffly a 5kg rate is that right?

Then for the front just lowered springs untill i can fund some decent coilovers with udjustable cambertops.

Just to go off topic abit does anyone know where i can pick these wheels up? iv looked everywhere

They are Enkei - Baja

or Hurricanes - Porformance wheels

cheers

Just get the grinder out!

Before you cut anything, measure the height of the wheel arches off the ground, so you know what you're starting with.

When you get the springs out, measure their rate. Either-

A- Measure the spring outside diameter,(about 130mm) the wire thickness (about 12mm) and the number of free coils. There will be wear/rust marks on the end coils where they touch as the car sits normally, so all metal that is marked won't be working as a spring. Only count coils that are 'active", usually about 6-7. With those three numbers, get a sprng rate from here-

http://www.pontiacracing.net/js_coil_spring_rate.htm

You will see nstantly how chopping one coil off affects the rate.

B- Get the bathroom scales, two mates, a metre of 4x2 timber and a tape measure. Have them hold the timber horizontally on the spring which sits upright on the scales while you get a starting point length, then they push down about 50kg. You get the compressed measurement and work out how many kg/mm or lb/inch. Both A and B should agree roughly.

Now you know more than most people on Rollaclub about spring rates, you can chop some off, re-measure and try them in the car. See what it feels like and then chop some more off if not happy. When you've cut them too short to be useful, you will have a spring rate that you are happy to drive around on without bursting discs in your spine! Go buy some lowered springs with that rate.