Ke1X Sway Bar ...

camorinta

so i bought a whiteline swaybar for my ke17.. annd it fouls on my brake calipers so i had it shortened.. as in cut a chunk out of the middle n then re-welded it.

now I'm getting mixed reactions..some say it needs to be heat treat it, lost its strength etc..

and some are saying it will be okay to chuck it on...

opinions.. ?

think ill chuck it tomorrow, see how we go?

cheers amar

Members dont see this ad

It wont lose it's spring.

What you've done is reduced the total amount of 'twist' you can apply to the swaybar. In reality, probably not by a whole lot, but it'd be straightforward to calculate. All a bit to scientific though.

How good were your welds, they would be my main concern. Poor welds with pinholes or porosity would have me a little concerned, they could create a stress concentrator and a fatigue failure might happen. It could be a long time down the track as well.

I would be planning for a worst case scenario on that weld....epic amounts of fatigue loading on a swaw bar.

Perhaps an alloy under tray on the car,So if that weld breaks you might have a chance of not pole vaulting your car off the road :P

Edited by ke70dave

haha ferk, don't want to be pole vaulting anywhere! :P

Gave it a crack yesterday, quit half way coz of the temperature haha but noticed that the bar will probably foul on the body now. Ill try n upload a photo soon..

its getting too 'Ugly' now.. not sure if ill be doing it.. :S ...

If the bar is under such loading how can there be those adjustable one's? Like with that thread and bold set up in the middle of it.. Wouldnt that give way as well?

Cheers. Ill take some photos today.

One of the boys has it on his ke70.. well didnt have a close look... looked like a sway bar :P the pic is below..

Now for my sway bar. I will go check one set up that a bloke said worked out n then update this.. haha don't want to even post a picture of 'what was planned' haha ..

post-7121-0-52220600-1354362924_thumb.jpg

You were on to it Dave.We are having the same problem with Thomas swaybar but hopfuly will get it sorted tomorow i will keep you all posted on the results on Thomas thread all the best with yours.We can not blame Whiteline for this problem as they would work fine with stadard drum brakes we just need to sort this out and maybe let Whiteline what they could possibly do to fit disc brake conversions.

Cheers:-Stuart