Ke55 Updrade Help

Hey guys.

I recently purchased a ke55 completely stock and now I’m looking to do a few upgrades. It’s a 3 speed Auto, so i guess my first question is what type of manual gear box I could fit and how much it would cost (would need a mech to do the work). Other than going manual, what other recommendations would you suggest for increasing power/efficiency. Lastly, driving on the highway for no longer then 10 minutes and the engine went red hot. I pulled over and the radiator reservoir was bubbling. Not sure yet if it’s a thermostat issue or if the old ke isn’t supposed to run at over 90/kph, regardless, I need the car to be able to handle highway use.

I appreciate any suggestions, cheers.

Members dont see this ad

id change the thermostat andhousing and check the radiator isnt blocked and a new rad cap too eficcentcy i just got a thermo fan chucked in just on a toggle switch in the car butim looking a extractors as the standard hot box intake exhaust system is heating up my fuel and evaporating it before it gets to the engine

Convert to manual, upgrade cam, carb & exhaust, fit 14" rims... just follow all the stuff I did on mine- its not super-quick, but it holds 100kph up hills and is cheap to run. Get any K50 box, but the tailshaft housing has to be a short one if you want the gear lever in the same hole. I'm sure the KE70 box has a longer rear end. You can do it yourself, its not a hard conversion.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/42407-the-girls-ke70/

id change the thermostat andhousing and check the radiator isnt blocked

Do this, although I wouldn't change the housing unless it is leaking, just pull the rad and thermostat out & sort them out. The rad you tip upside down and flush with a garden hose on full blast, or take it to a rad shop for checking. The thermostat you put in a pot on the stove and use a thermometer to see what temp it opens up at. The correct temp is written on it.

Check for a leaking headgasket by taking off the radiator cap before you start it one day, fill the rad up to overflowing, then start it and let it idle for a few minutes. You can stick you finger in the water and see when it suddenly warms up, that is when the thermostat opens.

If bubbles come up and push the water out of the rad then the headgasket is leaking. It usually happens before the thermostat opens as the compression has to go 'backwards' through the hoses and come up through the rad, pushing the water out.

If the radiator, the thermostat and the head gasket are all fine you are only left with the water pump as a problem.