Ke20 Will Only Fire When I Back Ign Off

kremske20

hi, my ke20 (3k) wont actually fire up while I'm cranking itover, it only fires u when I crank it and then back the key off a little, is this normal for an old car as out old datto 200 ute did the same thing,

my uncle seems to think its beacause the ballast resistor (think that's what he called it, something about dropping the voltage from the coil to the points??) isn't there, it seems to start and run fine but he said it will burn out the points real quick.

I have 1 here from a mazda 1300 I'm wrecking, (its a white thing with a spring looking thing inside) but its pretty old and prob stuffed, ca I still buy them new and can some 1 pls show me a diagram of how to wire it in

any help is appreciated

krem

Members dont see this ad

Usually when the starter motor is cranking over, the ballast resistor gets bypassed and power goes straight to the coil. Then when the key goes back to the "ignition" position the current has to pass through the ballast resistor again. So check that the ballast resistor bypass circuit is not broken, or that you actually have one, and put a ballast resistor back in the coil circuit if you are running a points type distributor. Your uncle is correct.

Here is a diagram to help you out, the little box on top of the coil with the black/yellow (sometimes black/orange) wire going to it is the ballast resistor:

You are interested in the diagram on the left.

DIZZY.jpg

Edited by rian
  • Upvote 1

lol, you can come give me a hand if ya like mate, but its a bit cold here intassie this time of the yr!!

we had a datto1200 ute and an ra28 celica which did the sae thing, cld be the barrel but I will do the resistor thing since my uncle reckons it will burn he points out quick and if the prob is still there then I will get a new barrel

can I buy a new resistor and can some1 pls show me a pic of what it is I'm looking for and wher its sposed to be in the engine bay?

cheers, krem

• 1 month later...

Don't know if you've got this sorted yet krem?.... The ballast resistor circuit is the one that is working! Its the "start" direct 12v circuit that isn't. There will be 2x wires going to the coil +, the one that isn't connected to the ballast resistor is the start circuit. Test it is connected properly and has power when cranking, if not track back from there. The fact that it actually turns over would indicate its not a barrel issue.

I would have a look for you but don't get out to d'port very often. I'm sure kendrick could easily fix it for you given the ignition conversion stuff he did in the 808.

hi, my ke20 (3k) wont actually fire up while I'm cranking itover, it only fires u when I crank it and then back the key off a little, is this normal for an old car as out old datto 200 ute did the same thing,

my uncle seems to think its beacause the ballast resistor (think that's what he called it, something about dropping the voltage from the coil to the points??) isn't there, it seems to start and run fine but he said it will burn out the points real quick.

I have 1 here from a mazda 1300 I'm wrecking, (its a white thing with a spring looking thing inside) but its pretty old and prob stuffed, ca I still buy them new and can some 1 pls show me a diagram of how to wire it in

any help is appreciated

krem

na haven't even started on the ke20 yet, got a resistor, broke the bank @ $4.00, lol

got to get this rx7 painted, then I have a hilux to paint, then some more reno's to finish so we can get our new carpet down (before winter, lol!!), so wont be for a while yet, gonna collect as many bits that I need as I can before I start to pull the car apart, wanna get thru it as soon as I canafter starting it so I'm all fresh and don't lose motivation like I do!!

my uncle knows how to do it anyways, thanks

krem