Leaf Springs Change Height?

RA28GT

Hey guys I currently have a very weird issue in my MS47 Crown.

2 Weeks ago I jacked up the backend and removed the tail shaft to get rebuilt, the chassis has been sitting on stands for a couple weeks with the diff hanging down as per normal.

I got my tailshaft back today, it was retube'd and balanced. Sat the car back on the ground and for some reason the back end is sitting literately 3 off inches higher than previous.

How on earth does this happen? I've taken it for a drive, everything looks and feels normal, shocks are not locked or anything silly, why would it be sitting much higher?

Members dont see this ad

You haven't had the swinging mount at the back reverse and jam forward?

Maybe the springs have hung down at full droop, where they never usually go, and locked up between the leaves with the weight back on.

Very odd, try jacking it back up and spraying between the leaves with WD40 or CRC556 or whatever.

Unless the tube is too long and the driveshaft is jammed into the back of the gearbox!

You haven't had the swinging mount at the back reverse and jam forward?

Maybe the springs have hung down at full droop, where they never usually go, and locked up between the leaves with the weight back on.

Very odd, try jacking it back up and spraying between the leaves with WD40 or CRC556 or whatever.

Unless the tube is too long and the driveshaft is jammed into the back of the gearbox!

The lock up on the leaves is one of the only things i could think of, but they did re tube the tailshaft, could they have made it too long perhaps? I need to do some serious investigating tomorrow. However I figure if it was the tail shaft being too long then wouldn't the suspension have absolutely no travel? It seems to have standard range.

Edited by RA28GT

Its a dodgy area for me, I'm not a leaf spring man- I was thinking if it was too long it would push the diff backwards 10mm and downwards, but you would have noticed when you fitted it and it would do terrible things to the gearbox housing. It would still go up and down for a short while before it smashed something.

I had to force the two-piece driveshaft into the KE70 with the Celcia diff fitted to get measurements and that was very noticeable. We cut 8mm of the shaft to get it right.