Need Advice On Buying Mig Welder

Mattyd529

Members dont see this ad

The first thing i'd do is throw the face shield over left shoulder and then throw the brush/hammer thingy over my right shoulder and buy a face shield that has both a auto lens and it'll sit on top of your head, buy a proper wire brush, a welding hammer and while at it buy some welding gloves.

Could get away with using that wire brush/hammer thing but you really need two hands for welding, so make sure on a face shield.

Apart from that the machine seems ok. Have you had a look at the ones in Bunnings ? If and when dad takes his back from me there's two there i've got an eye on.

Another thing to think about is parts. Its something that dad always goes on about when we start talking welders. The tips and nozzles are easy to get but its the handle and wire feed pipe etc that can be the bugger.

Save your money and buy a lincoln 180 with some gas and it will last you for ever.

The trouble with cheap welders is that they are s#it to put it lightly.

Gasless is not much better than a stick welder.

You ll regret buying cheap dodgey brands.

Please don't do it,go the lincoln you will never regret it.

Remember poor man pays twice.

No I'm not a lincoln sales man ha ha

End rant rob

Yep, auto helmet is money well spent. Get a reasonable brand, you'll probably end up having this thing for a lifetime, or if you don't you'll want to resell and get some decent money. Gas less won't do panels. I've got a Cigweld which has been great for panels, you can get 0.6 tips which helps. Also, you can get tips etc. from Bunnings of the shelf, spares can be ordered. I figure this may be handy if I'm half way in a project on a weekend. I've got 135amps. I think if I went again I'd probably get the 160. Around that mark is the limit of a normal wall socket, then you're thinking about 15amp plugs.

All I can say is yes, don't buy cheap crap. On The other hand, I wouldn't go buying miller or Lincoln, the Yankee machines are too overpriced.

Now I will say, look into the Token Tools units. Sure, they're built to aprice, but 5 year warranty and from all reports their Australian support is very good. Their tigs are a bit plain Jane but more robust build than the cig or boc units.

I had two pipe welders working for me running the token ac dc and a dc caddy. They were welding 100-250 mild and stainless pipe, not problems with these token units, and hed be running the caddy for about 4 years, no problem.

His only issue was e standard hoses and fittings were a bit cheap but easily fixed.