So I just "rebuilt" my power steering pump...

well put in all new seals. and cleaned it thoroughly

I installed everything on my car again.

and at first my steering wheel was reaaaally tough to move. then I remember oh yea! powersteering fluid...

so I filled it up. attempted to crank the wheels around a few times to get the fluid moving.

and all I heard was whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE...

So I thought.. maybe the belt is too tight. loosened it up some.. went around the block. and I still hear it whine when I turn the wheel..

If I turn it slowly then its not really noticable until a specific point..

I have really never messed with power steering before..

I have never rebuilt a PS unit before until now..

I just thought I could be cheap and rebuild it myself, rather than spend 75 more $$$ on a re manufactured one...

What I am trying to get too is, does anyone know why it could be doing that?

Or did I just actually ʞ©$ɟ it up more, waste my time and money....? :/

On the side note. the car has new hoses/belts/thermostat/coolant/ and my chrome trim finally stays down!..... -_-

please any input would be cool...

I can try and taking a video tomorrow....

Members dont see this ad

So first off....if you make the title of your thread a little more relevant people will be more willing to help. "i screwd up", doesnt really appeal to most....

Now with powersteering, there is a bleeding process which must be done if you empty the fluid out of the pump (which you have done)

As far as i understand (and has worked for me in the past), it is just a matter of filling up the resevoir all the way, and turning the steering from lock to lock a few times, and then filling it up as the air bubbles are released.

I really hope you havent undone all your good work by running the thing with no fluid, that surely can't be good for it.

thanks for your input mr dave. but see at least you answered. I garuntee if i put power steering help. no one would answer and if they did they would tell me to just take it out anyways...

well i didnt run it dry. i filled it up after installing it, and before i actually turned the wheels.

so I jacked the car off the ground. attempted to bleed it. there is no whine while there is no load on the wheels.

but after I put the car back on the ground its the same..

the resivour is full.. no bubbles came out either. idk man. I'm just going to say ʞ©$ɟ it and get a re manufacterd one..

didnt help...

I am not trying to bleedthe steering box.. I know if i was to take the fluid out of that I would have to bleed it..

but the power steering pump. like the part that there is a pulley and belt on...

so when I jacked it up and did it. there was no noise.. when there was a load on the wheels there was that noise...

Guessing I just screwed up somewhere... gunna get a remanufactured on tomorrow.. oh well! it was worth a try..

• 3 months later...