rallydad

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree with Kieth that castor will make it heavy in the steering .But a lot better imo in khanas etc.

It should be a lot better just remember point and power :yes: .

Coffs rally sprint ?? tell me more please .

Coffs club seems like a bit of secert service they don't advertise they events well.

We got sick of chasing there events as no one new they where on,then have to find where it was on.( different venue every event)

So we just give up :down: .

Agree with Kieth that castor will make it heavy in the steering .But a lot better imo in khanas etc.

It should be a lot better just remember point and power :yes: .

Coffs rally sprint ?? tell me more please .

Coffs club seems like a bit of secert service they don't advertise they events well.

We got sick of chasing there events as no one new they where on,then have to find where it was on.( different venue every event)

So we just give up :down: .

:paperbag: Umm, sorry to disappoint Rob.

Yeah we've had some drama's not least of all the amount of events washed out or cancelled by rain and a broken website but all good now. The website is the best place to get info. Supp regs are here at www.coffscarclub.com.au and contact details for the relevant people also.

We don't have a home track unfortunately (although we are working on that) so events move around depending on who has been kind enough to loan/rent us a venue

This Sunday's event is not a rallysprint (i wish!!) but a dirt lap dash. Course is approx 1klm with a sort of kidney shape layout and surface is dirt/gravel. Held on the Coffs motorcycle club flat track. A good shakedown for the new setup I reckon. Come down if you want it's a good fun day with good spectator viewing and facilities. =) Just bring some WARM clothes...

Please PM me if you need more info i'd like to keep this thread on track if that's ok.

With a locker, worrying about 1/4 turn feel is probably obsolete. Your driving finesse should now become driving flamboyance ;)

Yep, that's what I reckon too! Corolla + 4AG + locker = FUN!!!! :thumbsup:

OK, so the Lap dash yesterday was not only a heap of fun but also very surprising with the result.

1st run with sway bars on resulted in the quickest time. So I said to myself: self, you should have a crack at this today. So I did.

6 runs in total the first three sway bars on. Although the car was quick, it felt as though it was fighting me to stay on the racing line, so I tried sway bars off for the last three runs.

It felt more controllable through the corners, however it developed a tendency to run wide on the exit of the corners but with plenty of runoff it wasn't a problem other than I may have cost myself a little time, even though the lap times were steadily decreasing.

The track was very greasy in the morning and dried out over the course of the day, so in hindsight I probably should have taken the sway bars off first up to encourage a little more weight transfer and put them back on for the harder, grippier conditions in the afternoon.

No matter, I entered the day with a view to experiment with suspension and a 3rd overall out of 31 entries I am more than happy with. I certainly wouldn't run without at least the front bar in the bush at this stage with it running wide although rally tyres would probably help this. More experimentation to go on here. Maybe it's my driving style or i just need more time in the car.

Next event is a couple of months away. Another grass khanacross. I'll try bars on and off for that and see what happens.

:2thumbs:

Good work it sounds like your heading the right direction.

Like the new website as well, much better than the old one which hadnt been up dated for years.

rob

Thaks Rob, please spread the word we welcome out of town competitors. You missed a cracker day mate

Actually you'll have to test 4 options of course!

No sway bars- should grip

Front sway only- should understeer

Rear sway only- should oversteer

Both sways on- should slide

Should be fun!

By running wide on exit without bars I mean oversteer.

So, with front and rear bars, it was point and power and hitting the apex with nice oversteer though having to constantly adjust with the wheel to keep the front end pointing where I wanted it. Looking at rally footage of RWD cars, this seems to be about right? Or is this because i'm a pleb?

I found after taking the bars off meant the front end was more obedient, however the rear then stepped out a lot more and the whole car ran wider on exit as it required a lot more lock to correct and in fact I hit the lock stops a couple of times and had to back off the power to catch the rear. Now while this is great for spectators and heaps of fun when you have lots of runoff it's not exactly safe given some venues we use have tree stumps, fences etc.

I would think rally tyres will help with this (more grip) but once again this event stipulated road tyres only.

Sidenote: The steering has no "self centering" effect, bars on or off is this a result of winding in more castor/camber or are AE's lacking this anyway?

Usually it is understeer in and oversteer out, and you will be busy on the wheel all the time unless you're on a smooth stock-car circuit! The REAL ideal is a sharp turn-in and a constant, predicable slight 4-wheel drift as you power on, buts that one of those rare corners where you think "Faaark ! I'm good!"

More castor gives more self-centering. Go for the max! You'll have to adjust toe afterwards.

Do that before trying bars back on, but I expect you to need a front bar to give it understeer, allowing the rear more of the grip. The castor will give you self-centering and sharper turn-in, but once the wheel is almost straight it won't have an effect, leaving you with the tail hanging out. The front swaybar will make the nose slide more mid-corner, you'll have to see if that counteracts the tail hanging out or not.

You only have so much grip available, all you can do is split it between front and rear, left and right. A good start would be to to soften the rear suspension to get more weight transfer rearward and hence more rear grip when you accelerate. Plan 'C' involves putting toe-in on the rear axle with an industrial press!!

Battery in the boot??

I hit the lock stops a couple of times and had to back off the power to catch the rear. Now while this is great for spectators and heaps of fun...

Steve drives like this all the time! That's why I'm hoping a front sway will increase his speed without ruining how the car feels. Rally tyres will make a big difference, so when you have the car how you like it, borrow some rally tyres and go for a blast to see what they do. You might need a different setup with them, and the sooner you find out the better, rather than as you head off down Stage One.